Cajun Shrimp and Grits is perfect for brunch or a date night in. Spicy shrimp on top of cheesy grits with a little bacon thrown in – and it’s all ready in less than 30 minutes!
Can you believe it’s already Mother’s Day weekend?!
My kids are with their dad this weekend and I love them dearly but a weekend alone is exactly what I want for Mother’s Day.
It’s no secret that this year has been tough. It’s been me and the boys for most of it. Just us. In Texas. Far from our family.
But we’ve made the best of it and spent a lot of time adventuring around. We’ve had beignets in New Orleans and then went back again to catch beads at Mardi Gras. We went home and spent some time at my favorite beach and then spent 4th of July at my parents’ house. We’ve hiked all of Central Texas, we jumped in Lake Charles when it was way to cold to be jumping in Lake Charles, we’ve had tacos in every city we’ve traveled through, and they even had their first Uber ride when the Jeep died on us once last summer.
It’s easily been the most fun year of my life but also the most difficult.
I have had many a nervous breakdowns when, for example, I’m an hour away for work and I get a call saying that somebody needs a change of clothes and if they don’t have it in 30 minutes, they have to notify so-and-so. I was full-on sobbing into the phone and the poor girl took pity on me and found clothes from around the school for my kid to wear. He looked like a mess but whatever.
Then there was that one time the MPs brought one of my kids home for throwing mud.
I’ve cried in the school counselor’s office more times than I can count on all my fingers and toes.
And we won’t even talk about how much I’ve spent on babysitters this year.
Noooooow, let’s talk about what mom really wants for Mother’s Day.
Peace and quiet, duh. And maybe a bottle of wine.
Actually, Mom would love this Butter Chardonnay by JaM Cellars!
It’s a great everyday wine and guess what! Under 20 bucks. Seriously the best chardonnay you can get for less than $20. It’s rich and luscious and made from juicy California grapes so it’s bursting with flavor. It has notes of stone fruit and lemon and finishes with vanilla so basically, it melts it your mouth.
JaM Cellars makes three easy-to-love California wines: Butter Chardonnay, JaM Cabernet and Toast Sparkling. So there’s something for everyone!
If you’re cooking brunch for your mom this weekend, lemme recommend this Cajun Shrimp and Grits!
Shrimp and grits is my favorite meal ever. Like, if it’s on a menu, I’m ordering it. And I always forget how easy it is to make at home. But seriously, less than 30 minutes from start to finish. The spicy shrimp on the creamy, cheesy grits with the crispy bacon is just perfection.
And if you’re new to cooking, shrimp is one of the easiest proteins to cook. About a minute on each side and it’s done. So this is a perfect recipe for, maybe, the inexperienced cook to make for mom for Mother’s Day.
(PS. It would also be great for any other brunch or a date night in!)
More Shrimp Recipes
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
For the grits:
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking grits
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced
- Pat shrimp dry and place in a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle cajun seasoning on top and toss to coat. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until almost cooked. Add onion and cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add shrimp and cook for about 1 minutes on each side, until no longer pink and slightly golden. Add butter and toss to coat. Remove from heat, cover, and keep warm while you prepare the grits.
- Bring milk, water, and salt to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to a simmer and add grits. Cook until thick, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted.
- Serve the shrimp mixture on top of the grits with green onions on top.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 403Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 291mgSodium: 2054mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 40g
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.