Caramelized Carrot Risotto – rich and creamy risotto with caramelized carrots and Parmesan cheese.
I am loving the risotto recipes right now! The last one I made really got me in a mood to try new flavors in risotto so I was pretty excited to find this carrot recipe.
Not gonna lie, I was kind of hesitant because carrots? In risotto? Exactly.
But I have to say, they became so sweet when caramelized and somehow just worked perfectly with the Parmesan. Everyone in the family, including the kids (!!) loved this one and sadly for me, there were zero leftovers. I think I could’ve eaten this for a week straight without getting sick of it.
Forget everything you’ve heard about how difficult it is to make risotto – you absolutely must give this one a try! As long as you’re prepared to hover over the stove for about 30 minutes, you’ll be fine!
More Risotto Recipes
- Smoked Gouda Risotto with Mushrooms
- Risotto with Caramelized Onions, Mushrooms and Chickpeas
- Shrimp and Curried Coconut Risotto
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and chopped as finely and evenly as possible (about 3 cups)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ⅓ cup minced onion
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese, plus ½ cup for garnish
- 1 teaspoon roughly chopped fresh thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat in a medium heavy-bottomed pot; add carrots and stir with a wooden spoon until well coated. Add ½ cup water, ½ teaspoon salt, and the sugar; cover and cook 5 minutes, or until tender. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until water evaporates and carrots are just starting to brown, a few minutes more. Reserve half of the carrots. In a blender, purÃ©e other half with ¾ cup hot water.
- Bring chicken broth to a simmer and keep at a simmer, covered, over low heat.
- Heat remaining oil and butter over medium heat in same (unwashed) pot used for carrots. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add rice, stirring with a wooden spoon to coat rice with oil, 1 minute. Add wine and cook, stirring, until wine evaporates. Add carrot purÃ©e and cook, stirring, until mixture no longer looks soupy.
- Add ½ cup hot broth, stirring often, until rice absorbs most of the liquid. Repeat process, adding ½ cup broth at a time and stirring often till each addition is absorbed before adding the next, until rice is al dente (about 20 minutes).
- Fold in reserved carrots ¼ cup Parmesan, and the thyme. Add up to 1 cup broth (¼ cup at a time) to loosen the risotto. Season with salt and white pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle each bowl of risotto with some of remaining ½ cup parmesan; serve immediately
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 234Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 780mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 7g