The cake batter trend has taken the blog world by storm recently and as with most trends, I’ve been hesitant to dive in. I do love my birthday cake ice cream but beyond that, I wasn’t sure about using cake mix in items that weren’t, well, cake. These blondies changed my mind though – I saw them and was in the kitchen 15 minutes later. Blondies + sprinkles? How could I not make them?
These are baked so they obviously don’t have that cake batter taste that something not baked would have, like the ice cream. They’re still delicious, don’t get me wrong, but just didn’t have the cake batter taste that I expected. The sprinkles more than made up my very slight disappointment and reminded me of the Funfetti cupcakes everyone loves.
- 1 cup cake mix
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup butter (melted & cooled slightly)
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 4 heaping tablespoons sprinkles of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare an 8 x 8 inch pan with parchment (or aluminum foil).
- In a mixing bowl, beat together sugars, butter, vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until creamy and smooth. Stir in flour, cake mix, and baking soda until well combined. Mix in the sprinkles.
- Spread dough evenly in prepared pan, smoothing with a spatula.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until top is lightly browned and middle still jiggles slightly. Allow to cool for 15-20 minutes before removing foil from pan and cutting into squares.