I have to tell you guys, I’m having a week.
This whole moving thing is waaaay more stressful than it needs to be. We’re 3 weeks out and STILL waiting for paperwork to be signed. We don’t have a date for the movers, I haven’t talked to the kids’ school, and my husband’s still going to work every day even though his leave was supposed to start on Monday. And to top it all off, the house that I really, really, really wanted to rent got snatched up by someone else since the rental company couldn’t hold it longer than 2 weeks. Gahhh, I only had to wait 4 or 5 more days before I could put down a deposit!
So now we have to find a new house. Or move on post. Which we don’t want to do. At all.
Stress does not describe what I’m feeling.
Good news though!
I went to the eye doctor earlier this week and he said that I DEFINITELY need to be wearing glasses everyday. Which probably sounds like an “ugh” to most people but I have been actively trying to fail an eye exam since 1994. So this was good news to me.
Also, maybe I won’t have headaches anymore.
But I have to wait 3 weeks for the glasses to get here. And at that point, we may or may not be on our way to Texas.
I definitely had cake for dinner more than one night this week. But it’s angel food cake so it’s basically just egg whites and egg whites are a perfectly healthy dinner. Right?
I’ve been working my way through all our herbs since we can’t really take them with us so I mixed some mint with the strawberries. I don’t really love biting into a mint leaf but I let the mixture hang out overnight in the fridge and the mint flavor really infused the strawberries. It was delicious!
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For the cake:
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 12 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the strawberries:
- 2 cups strawberries, quartered
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- whipped cream, for serving
To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Sift flour and ½ cup sugar in a mixing bowl.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk, beat the egg whites on medium speed until frothy, about 1 minute. Add lemon zest and juice, cream of tartar, vanilla, and salt; continue beating until soft peaks form. Add the rest of the sugar with the mixer running.
- Increase speed to high and beat until firm peaks form. Sprinkle ⅓ of the flour mixture on the whites and fold to combine. Repeat with remaining flour mixture in 2 additions.
- Transfer batter to an angel food cake pan and run a knife through the center to remove bubbles. Bake until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Invert pan onto a wire rack and let cool completely. Run a knife around the sides and middle of the pan. Remove to a serving platter.
To prepare the strawberries:
- Put all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Cover and chill at least 2 hours before serving so that the strawberries release some juice.
- Place a slice of angel food cake on a plate and spoon strawberries over top. Drizzle a little strawberry juice over top and finish with a big spoonful of whipped cream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 176Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 100mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 1gSugar: 29gProtein: 5g