With 2 months left in this pregnancy I’ve become increasingly dependent on my slow cooker. Yesterday I no lie had 2 slow cookers going. Sure, I could have roasted that chicken in the oven but that would involve getting up and checking on it. Or you know, pulling it out before it burned. It’s much easier to just throw something in the slow cooker and know that even if I don’t get around to pulling it out until 8 hours later, it won’t be burnt!
Anyway, that has nothing to do with this dish. This dish was good. I live in the land of no Panda Express so I’ve never had the orange chicken that everyone raves about. Awful, isn’t it? I’ve saved many a orange chicken recipes to my bookmarks but never got around to making them because they usually call for an ingredient that I’d use once and then throw the rest of the jar away. This recipe calls for very few ingredients, most of which you probably already have in your house!
My husband said it was too orangey so I’d probably cut back on the orange concentrate next time or even use regular orange juice. I thought it was good as written and even had leftovers the next day which I rarely do.
Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
- 1 pound boneless chicken, cut in 2-inch chunks
- ½ tablespoon kosher salt
- 6 ounces ½ can frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- crushed red pepper flakes, for serving
- Put the chicken pieces into your slow cooker. In a small mixing bowl, combine the orange juice concentrate, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, salt, and ketchup. Pour sauce mixture evenly over the chicken, and toss gingerly to coat.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, or on high for 3 to 4. Serve over white or brown rice.
- Sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes, if desired
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 301Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 1004mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 0gSugar: 19gProtein: 34g
Nicole sent e this…will certainly try this soon…sounds yummy
How does one roast a chicken in a crock pot???? This is genius!!
Here’s a great blog post about roasting a chicken in the crockpot: http://bakedbree.com/slow-cooker-roast-chicken
It’s one of the easiest things! :)
Natalie (The Sweets LIfe) says
I’m making this Wednesday! Can’t wait to try it out!
.-= Natalie (The Sweets LIfe)´s last blog ..Coffee Ice Cream =-.
this is such a great idea. We use our slow cooker all the time. I’ll have to try this soon… we do have chicken in the freezer now. :-)