I think coffee cake might be one of my favorite things ever. It’s cake that you’re supposed to eat for breakfast! What’s not to love?
I have a favorite coffee cake and this one is very similar to that recipe but the sour cream gave it a slightly different taste and a fluffy texture. And the layer of cinnamon sugar running through the center? Totally did me in. I also loved how the cinnamon sugar on top got crunchy in the oven!
You better believe I’m having a piece (or two) for breakfast this morning!
For the Crumb Topping:
- ¾ cup flour
- ¾ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- ½ teas salt
- ¾ cup pecans, toasted
- 6 tbs unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1″ cubes
For the Chocolate Cinnamon Swirl:
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teas dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teas cinnamon
For the Sour Cream Cake:
- 3 ½ cups flour
- 1 teas baking powder
- 1 ½ teas baking soda
- ½ teas salt
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, soft but cool, cut into 1″ pieces
- 2 ¼ cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 16 oz sour cream
- 1 ½ teas pure vanilla extract
- To make the Crumb Topping: Pulse the flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor about 5 seconds to mix. Add the pecans and pulse until the pecans are finely chopped and thoroughly incorporated into the flour mixture, about 15 1 second pulses.
- Add butter and pulse until combined.You’re going for a mixture that looks like chunky sand. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make the Cinnamon Swirl: In a small bowl, stir together the sugar, cocoa powder, and cinnamon and set aside until ready to use.
- To make the Sour Cream Cake: Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a 9×13″ baking pan with parchment paper or spray with baking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixture fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each and scraping the sides as needed. Add the sour cream and vanilla and beat until everything is incorporated. Add the flour mixture and continue beating until just combined. Do not overmix!
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared baking pan. Cover with the cinnamon swirl mixture.
- Pour the remaining batter over the swirl mixture. and spread evenly. Top with the crumb topping. Use all of it even if it looks like too much - some of it will sink down into the cake.
- Bake for 1 hour, rotating half way through cooking time, until golden brown or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 432Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 189mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 1gSugar: 35gProtein: 5g