Homemade Vanilla Bean Ice Cream – the best vanilla ice cream! Only 6 ingredients and so easy.
I’m not snobby about most food but homemade ice cream is one of the things I’m a total snob about. Homemade ice cream absolutely has to start with a custard.
No churn ice cream? NOPE.
I need my ice cream to start with cream, eggs, and sugar.
This Homemade Vanilla Bean Ice Cream is probably my favorite ice cream recipe because it’s so simple and just so pretty with the vanilla bean flecks throughout.
If you are more of a chocolate person, my Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream is incredible! And I don’t usually like chocolate ice cream.
How To Make Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream is so simple and requires just the most basic ice cream ingredients.
- Heat milk, heavy cream, sugar, salt, and vanilla bean paste over medium heat just until it starts to bubble
- While the milk mixture is heating up, whisk 6 eggs yolks together in a large bowl
- Once the milk mixture is hot, slowly steam about a cup of the milk into the egg yolks, whisking vigorously the entire time
- Pour egg yolk and milk mixture back into the pot
- Continue heating over medium heat until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon
- Pour custard through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl
- Chill until cold
- Freeze according to ice cream maker‘s instructions
More Homemade Ice Cream Recipes
- Ginger Peach Ice Cream
- Birthday Cake Ice Cream
- S’mores Ice Cream
- Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream
- Banana Pudding Ice Cream
- Strawberry Sour Cream Ice Cream
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 6 large egg yolks
- Warm the milk, sugar, heavy whipping cream, salt, and vanilla bean paste in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat just until it starts to bubble.
- While the milk mixture is heating, whisk together the egg yolks. Once the milk starts to bubble, slowly stream in about 1 cup of the milk while whisking constantly. Pour the egg yolk mixture into the pot you used to heat the milk.
- Heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Pour the custard through a fine mesh strainer and into a large bowl. Chill the mixture.
- Churn in ice cream maker according to manufacturer instructions. Store in freezer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 232mgSodium: 103mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 0gSugar: 14gProtein: 8g