I bought my first ever toaster a couple weeks ago. I also came home with boxes of frozen waffles and Toaster Strudels. Because it occurred to me that 2 out of 3 of my children had never had either one.
Breakfast with the kids has become so much easier for me. For some reason, popping a waffle or a bagel into the toaster is 10 times easier than pouring a bowl of cereal. I am just not a morning kitchen person. Sometimes I am even too lazy/tired/whatever to make a cup of coffee so I just grab a Coke.
I’ve been trying to keep the freezer stocked with homemade waffles since then and this recipe has become a family favorite. I never really got on the brown butter train because, although it smells amazing, I feel like it doesn’t really alter the taste of anything. But like I said, I do get pretty excited about how it makes my kitchen smell.
These are especially great for those of us that aren’t morning cooks because you do the bulk of the work the night before. In the morning all you have to do is whisk in eggs and baking soda and then cook the waffles.
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- ¾ cup 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter
- 2 cups warm milk
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ¼ ounce packet active-dry yeast
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- nonstick spray
- Melt butter over medium heat in a medium-sized saucepan, stirring often, until butter foams and then browns (do not burn), 5 - 8 minutes. Transfer to a mixing bowl and let cool.
- Whisk milk, buttermilk, sugar, yeast, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk in flour and cooled brown butter.
- Cover and let batter sit at room temperature at least 8 hours and up to 12 hours.
- Once the 8 hours is up, whisk in eggs and baking soda.
- Heat waffle iron until very hot. coat iron with nonstick spray and pour batter onto waffle iron, spreading it to cover surface. Cook until golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve immediately with butter and maple syrup.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 232Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 302mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 6g