I’ve really been failing at dinner since my husband deployed. My seven year old actually asked me why I never cook anymore.
To which I said, “What are you talking about? I made 6 kinds of ice cream last week!”
Apparently ice cream does not count as real cooking.
I go through this whenever my husband is gone. When he’s here, I know that whatever I cook, it’ll get eaten. When it’s just me and the boys, we always have leftovers for days and then I still end up trashing stuff. And that’s really frustrating to me. We end up doing sandwiches and Cheetos for dinner just about every night.
So I made this pasta for dinner to prove to the kid that I actually still know how to cook. It was a HUGE hit. I don’t go for cottage cheese in pasta dishes usually but no one really noticed it in this. It melted and got super creamy. And I have been eating nothing but ground turkey for months so actual ground beef?
I thought I’d died and gone to heaven. But that is besides the point.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it up as it cooks. Drain grease if necessary and return to pan; add the tomato sauce, salt and pepper to skillet. Stir mixture and reduce heat to low. Let simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil egg noodles in a large pot of water until al dente. Drain water. Set noodles aside.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together sour cream and cottage cheese. Gentle stir in cooked egg noodles. Sprinkle with a little black pepper and gently stir until noodles are coated. Stir in green onions.
- Grease a 9×13-inch baking pan with non-stick spray. Layer half the noodles in the bottom of the pan, spread out evenly. Spread half of the meat mixture over the noodles, sprinkle with half the cheese. Repeat layers again, with remaining noodles, the rest of the meat mixture and then ending with the cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.