One day last week I was all wound up about strawberry shortcake. Like, I’d thought about it all night the night before and then I got even more pumped because I had sour cream to make my favorite sour cream pound cake.
Excited doesn’t even begin to cover how I was feeling.
And yes, I realize my feelings toward food tend to be pretty extreme.
But anyway, I put the pound cake in the oven and wanted to get started slicing the strawberries. Guess what.
We had no strawberries.
And I’m having a lazy summer. I’m only motivated to do fun things like stovetop s’mores-ing and swimming and splash padding. Going to the grocery store is not on that list.
The pound cake just sat there for days and finally I came to terms with the fact that no one was going to show up at my door with strawberries and made my kids French toast with it.
Well I finally went to the store over the weekend and got some dang strawberries. I made this Angel Food Cake to go with them and I think I’ve decided that Angel Food is my favorite for shortcake. It reminds me of those little round sponge cakes that you can buy and I love those so much!
- 1 ¼ cups egg whites, about 9
- 1 ½ cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Place oven rack in the lowest position. Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Sift ½ cup sugar and flour together twice; set aside.
- Add cream of tartar, extracts and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about ½ cup at a time.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 153Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 87mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 0gSugar: 25gProtein: 4g