Big disaster in my life.
We can’t find Cuties anymore.
I don’t even know what to do. The baby (he’s almost 3 – not a baby) eats at least 3 a day and now they are gone from the grocery store shelves. Yesterday I found a bag of pluots labeled dinosaur fruit and thought “Hey, it’s got a dinosaur on it. Maybe he’ll eat them!”
I’m kind of regretting using our last bag of Cuties on these cupcakes. Kind of. But not really.
Because Orange Cream Cupcakes! I’ve been really digging citrus cakes for awhile now so an orange cupcake with orange cream cheese frosting? All about it!
Don’t worry if you’re in the same predicament as me with the Cuties though – you can use any kind of orange!
For the cupcakes:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 12 tablespoons 1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup milk
For the frosting:
- ¾ cup fresh orange juice, about 2 oranges
- 1 8- ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- orange gel food coloring
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with 12 liners.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- Beat the eggs and sugar in a large bowl on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed and slowly beat in the melted butter. Beat in orange zest and vanilla.
- Beat in the flour mixture in 2 additions, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly among the muffin cups, filling each about ⅔ of the way. Bake about 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean Cool completely on a wire rack.
To make the frosting:
- Bring the orange juice to a boil in a saucepan; reduce heat to medium and simmer until reduced to 1 ½ tablespoons, about 8 minutes. Let cool.
- Beat the cream cheese in a large bowl on medium-high speed until smooth and fluffy. Beat in the butter, a little at a time, until smooth. Reduce mixer speed to low; sift the powdered sugar into the bowl and beat until smooth. Add the vanilla, the cooled orange syrup, and orange zest. Beat until combined. Add food coloring until desired color is reached. Refrigerate until spreadable, about 15 minutes. Spread onto cool cupcakes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 432Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 186mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 1gSugar: 25gProtein: 5g