Avocado Brownies – no butter, no oil! These are so rich and delicious and no one will guess that the secret is avocado!
Good morning guys!
I feel we could all use some chocolate today.
Buuuuut, it’s chocolate you can feel good about! There’s no butter, no oil, none of that!
The secret ingredient is avocado!
Okay, stay with me.
I know, avocados in brownies sound really, really, really weird.
But you’re just going to have to trust me on this one.
Because you know how everyone always talks about how avocado is full of healthy fats? Those healthy fats easily replace the fats found in the butter or oil you normally put into your brownies.
Which means that these brownies have the same texture you know and love but you can feel a little bit better about eating half the pan in the middle of the night when you can’t sleep and E! has stopped showing Sex & the City reruns from midnight to 2 am so you have nothing to do but stand in the kitchen and eat half a pan of brownies.
How to Make Avocado Brownies!
This Avocado Brownies recipe is going to look a lot like the brownie recipes you’re used to since, you know, the only real change is going to be the avocado.
They are made with cocoa powder AND chocolate chips so they’re extra rich and fudgy and still better for you than the average brownie.
Make sure you beat the avocado and sugar mixture really good so you don’t end up with a giant chunk of avocado in a bite of brownie.
I love avocado more than pretty much anything else on earth but even I don’t want to encounter a chunk of avocado in a rich and delicious brownie.
To store these Avocado Brownies, keep them in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 1 week. They are probably tastiest when enjoyed within the first few days though. You can also freeze them in a freezer-safe bag – just defrost on the counter overnight!
More Healthy-ish Treats Recipes
Avocado Fudge Pops – another treat made with avocado! These are made with the avocado, banana, coconut milk and cocoa powder. And they are sweetened with honey instead of sugar. These are the perfect summer treat when you want something cold and light that still feels decadent.
S’mores Frozen Yogurt – skip the full fat ice cream and make healthier (and still really delicious!) frozen yogurt. It starts with regular vanilla yogurt and turns into the most delicious s’mores froyo with a fudge swirl, graham crackers, and mini marshmallows.
Chocolate Cherry Dessert Hummus – a sweet hummus! Made from chickpeas, tahini, and cocoa powder. It’s sweetened with honey and have fresh cherries blended in. Dip fresh fruit or animal crackers in for a delicious healthy treat.
- 1 ½ cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 medium ripe avocados, mashed
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray an 8x8-inch baking pan with baking spray. Set aside.
- Place chocolate chips in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, remove, and stir. Continue microwaving in 30 second intervals, stirring after, until completely smooth. Let cool slightly.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together the avocados and sugar until creamy. Beat in cooled chocolate. Beat in eggs, one at a time; beat in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together cocoa powder, flour, and salt until no lumps remain. Slowly add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture and beat until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 206 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 47mg Sodium: 88mg Carbohydrates: 29g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 22g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g