Banana Cake with Vanilla Bean Frosting – light and fluffy banana cake with a delicious vanilla bean frosting! The perfect afternoon snack!
Remember how a few short days ago I told you that we go through 27 bunches of bananas a week?
Well, that very day my 2 year old, who has been known to kill 4 bananas in the time it takes me to shower, decided he doesn’t like bananas anymore.
Coincidentally, that was also the day I went to Costco and bought a huge bag.
I can’t even remember the last time I had bananas so ripe that I was forced to bake with them! I took full advantage of the situation and made this fantastic little banana snack cake.
Banana Cake with Vanilla Bean Frosting
The cake is pretty close to a banana bread but not quite so dense.
It’s perfect for an afternoon snack because it’s really pretty light and if you leave off the frosting (but why would you do such a thing?!) your kids or husband or whoever can just grab a square as they walk past the kitchen.
Another great thing about the cake is how simple it was. It took no time at all to make and I’m willing to bet you have all the ingredients in your kitchen already!
More Banana Recipes
- Banana Muffins with Nutella Swirl
- PB&J Banana Bread
- Banana Cream Pie
- Banana Pudding
- Cream Cheese Banana Bread
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For the banana cake:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup mashed very ripe banana, about 2 bananas
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
For the vanilla bean frosting:
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups powdered sugar
- ½ vanilla bean, seeds scraped from the bean, or ½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup heavy cream or milk
To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a 9x9 square pan with parchment (or butter and flour).
- Cream together butter and sugar until light in color and fluffy. Add in sour cream, mashed banana, egg, and vanilla. Beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and beat until just combined.
- Pour mixture into the prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 22-26 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
To make the frosting:
- Beat butter and powdered sugar together; add vanilla bean seeds and salt. Slowly add heavy cream, one tablespoon at a time, until the frosting reaches the desired consistency.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 145mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 2gSugar: 27gProtein: 4g