Bonefish Grill’s Bang Bang Shrimp – crispy shrimp in a creamy, spicy sauce! You won’t believe how quickly this delicious appetizer disappears from the table.
Have you ever tried the Bang Bang Shrimp from Bonefish Grill? I’m sure you have because it seems to be the thing that people say, “Oh my gosh, have you tried the…?!” about when Bonefish comes up in conversation
What is Bang Bang Shrimp
Bang Bang Shrimp is super crispy fried shrimp tossed with a creamy, spicy sriracha sauce that is absolutely addictive.
Like really, I could drink that sauce.
I won’t. Because it’s mostly mayo. But I wish I could.
You can serve it on it’s own or I have seen people make pasta or tacos with it.
- Medium shrimp – peeled and deveined
- Chili garlic sauce – such as Sriracha sauce. This is what gives the sauce the spice that it needs.
- Granulated sugar
- Rice vinegar
- All-purpose flour
- Panko breadcrumbs – panko gives the shrimp a much crispier coating than regular breadcrumbs
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Dried basil
- Vegetable oil – for frying
- Make the sauce. Combine mayonnaise, chili garlic sauce, granulated sugar, and rice vinegar in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Prepare for frying. Combine beaten egg with milk in a shallow bowl; set aside. In a separate bowl, combine flour, panko, salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and basil; set aside.
- Bread the shrimp. Working with one shrimp at a time, coat each one with the flour mixture, dip into the egg mixture, and then dip back into the flour mixture. Arrange the breaded shrimp on a plate and put into the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
- Fry the shrimp. Heat oil in dutch oven to 350F. When oil is hot, fry shrimp 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on wire rack or paper towels.
- Serve bang bang shrimp. When all shrimp has been fried, spoon about ¼ cup of the sauce over shrimp and stir to gently coat. Serve with remaining sauce.
How Long Is It Good For?
Bang Bang Shrimp is good for 3 – 4 days in the fridge. I recommend storing the shrimp separately from the sauce.
You also want to be sure to store everything in airtight containers – these glass airtight containers are my favorite for leftovers.
To reheat the shrimp, put them on a baking sheet and bake them in a 375F preheated oven until they are warmed through and crispy again. Try 5 minutes and then flip all the shrimp over and heat for another 5 minutes.
The sauce can be warmed in the microwave for a few seconds at a time until it reaches the desired temperature.
Can You Make Bang Bang Shrimp Ahead?
I don’t recommend frying the shrimp ahead of time. Fried foods don’t stay crispy if you have to store them in the fridge.
However, you can make the sauce ahead of time. You can make it the night before you plan on serving it and keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If you use a store-bought mayo, the sauce will actually last in the fridge up to a week.
More Shrimp Recipes
- Cajun Shrimp and Grits
- Spicy Orange Shrimp
- Blackened Shrimp Alfredo
- Spicy Shrimp Nachos
- Blackened Shrimp Alfredo
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- For the sauce:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 4-5 teaspoons chili garlic sauce, such as Sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- For the egg mixture:
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- For the breading mixture:
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- vegetable oil
- Combine all ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl; cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Combine beaten egg with milk in shallow bowl; set aside.
- Combine flour, panko, salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and basil in another shallow bowl; set aside.
- Working with one shrimp at a time, coat each one with the flour mixture, dip into the egg mixture, and then dip back into the flour mixture. Arrange the breaded shrimp on a plate and put into the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in dutch oven to 350 degrees F. You want a couple inches of oil.
- When oil is hot, fry shrimp 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on rack or paper towels.
- When all shrimp has been fried, drop the shrimp into a large bowl. Spoon about ¼ cup of sauce over shrimp and stir gently to coat. Serve with remaining sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 528Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 355mgSodium: 2129mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 36g