This copycat recipe for Bonefish Grill’s Bang Bang Shrimp tastes just like the real thing. Crispy shrimp in a creamy, spicy sauce! You won’t believe how quickly this delicious appetizer disappears from the table.
Time for another delicious football snack!
This is one that you are going to get requests for over and over again.
What is Bang Bang Shrimp?
Have you ever tried the Bang Bang Shrimp from Bonefish Grill? I’m sure you have because it seems to be the thing that people say, “Oh my gosh, have you tried the…?!” about when Bonefish comes up in conversation.
But if you haven’t, it’s super crispy fried shrimp tossed with a creamy, spicy sriracha sauce that is absolutely addictive.
Like really, I could drink that sauce.
I won’t. Because it’s mostly mayo. But I wish I could.
I usually serve it alone as an appetizer but if you want to do it as dinner, it’s really delicious made into wonton tacos or I’m sure it would be amazing just over rice with extra sauce drizzled on top. You can really serve it however you want. Just make it!
How to Make Bang Bang Shrimp
The first thing you are going to do is make the sauce. It’s just an easy mixture of mayo, sriracha, a tiny bit of sugar, and vinegar. If you like your sauce less or more spicy, definitely adjust the amount of sriracha or sugar to taste.
For the shrimp, they are double breaded so they turn out super crunchy. They get dipped in a seasoned flour and breadcrumb mixture, then an egg mixture, and then into the flour and breadcrumbs again. They take just 2 or 3 minutes to fry and from there, place them on a paper towel-lined plate so any excess oil can drain off.
Once all the shrimp is cooked, you can either toss the shrimp with the sauce or drizzle the sauce over the top. Serve them in tacos, on a salad, with pasta, or just on their own. There’s really no wrong way to do it!
I am not a huge fan of frying but these shrimp are 100% worth it. I have made this recipe over and over and will definitely continue making it, despite how much I hate frying things.
My kids claim they don’t like shrimp (clearly they aren’t my kids) but they ask for these frequently!
You may want to double the recipe. Maybe triple it if you plan on serving it at a party.
How Do You Reheat Bang Bang Shrimp?
If you think you are going to have leftovers and will need to reheat the Bang Bang Shrimp, don’t drizzle or toss all the shrimp in the sauce. Refrigerate the sauce separately from the shrimp or the breading with get soggy.
To reheat the shrimp, put them on a baking sheet and bake them in a 375F preheated oven until they are warmed through and crispy again. Try 5 minutes and then flip all the shrimp over and heat for another 5 minutes.
The sauce can be warmed in the microwave for a few seconds at a time until it reaches the desired temperature.
More Shrimp Recipes
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- For the sauce:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 4-5 teaspoons chili garlic sauce, such as Sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- For the egg mixture:
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- For the breading mixture:
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- vegetable oil
- Combine all ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl; cover and set aside.
- Combine beaten egg with milk in shallow bowl; set aside.
- Combine flour, panko, salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and basil in another shallow bowl; set aside.
- Bread the shrimp by first coating each with the breading mixture. Dip breaded shrimp into the egg and milk mixture, and then back into the breading. Arrange the coated shrimp on a plate and pop them into the fridge for at least 20 minutes. This step will help the breading to stick on the shrimp when they are frying.
- Heat oil in deep fryer to 350 degrees F. Use amount of oil required by your fryer.
- When oil is hot, fry shrimp 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on rack or paper towels.
- When all shrimp has been fried, drop the shrimp into a large bowl. Spoon about ¼ cup of sauce over shrimp and stir gently to coat. Serve with remaining sauce.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 528 Total Fat: 27g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 20g Cholesterol: 355mg Sodium: 2129mg Carbohydrates: 32g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 36g