Blueberry Orange Coffee Cake – moist cake full of fresh blueberries and orange zest. What’s better than cake for breakfast?!
Love blueberries? Try Blueberry Lemon Bread!
How was the week?
I’m finally getting over this cold that I was starting to think I would have forever so we actually ventured out of the house and saw Incredibles 2 which was so good. I’ve never seen the first one but I loved this one.
I’ve barely left the house besides that. This cold has kicked my butt.
I’m really hoping I’ll be well enough for lake trip this weekend because it’s been over a month and my tan is just about gone.
I made this Blueberry Orange Coffee Cake twice last week.
The second time we sugared some strawberries and made homemade whipped cream and layered all of it together and omg.
It’s also the perfect breakfast cake because it’s not overly sweet and you know I’m just not a fan of a super sweet breakfast.
- Granulated sugar
- Orange zest – my favorite zester!
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Sour cream – you can substitute plain yogurt!
How To Make Blueberry Orange Coffee Cake
- Line an 8-inch cake pan with parchment and spray with baking spray
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
- Beat in egg, vanilla, and orange zest
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt to remove any lumps
- Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, beating mixture on low
- Add sour cream, still mixing
- Add remaining flour, followed by milk
- Beat until combined
- In a small bowl, toss blueberries with 1 tablespoon flour
- Fold blueberries into batter
- Transfer batter to the prepared pan and smooth out the top with a rubber spatula
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar
- Bake at 350F for 50 – 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
- Let cool in pan on a wire rack for a few minutes before running a knife around the sides of the pan and removing to the wire rack to cool completely
More Coffee Cake Recipes
- New York Style Coffee Cake
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- Lemon Raspberry Coffee Cake
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, plus 1 tablespoon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, washed and dried
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line the bottom of an 8-inch cake pan with parchment and spray the sides with baking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter and ¾ cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, vanilla, and orange zest and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt to remove any lumps. Add half to the butter, followed by the sour cream. Add the remaining flour and the milk. Beat until combined.
- In another bowl, toss blueberries with remaining tablespoon of flour. Fold the blueberries into the batter.
- Transfer batter to the prepared pan and smooth out the top. Sprinkle with remaining tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for 50 - 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool on wire rack before running a knife around the sides and removing from pan. Serve with whipped cream if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 262Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 140mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 4g