What’s better than cake for breakfast? This Blueberry Orange Coffee Cake is loaded with fresh blueberries and orange zest!
How was the week?
I’m finally getting over this cold that I was starting to think I would have forever so we actually ventured out of the house and saw Incredibles 2 which was so good. I’ve never seen the first one but I loved this one.
I’ve barely left the house besides that. This cold has kicked my butt.
I’m really hoping I’ll be well enough for lake trip this weekend because it’s been over a month and my tan is just about gone.
Blueberry Orange Coffee Cake!
I made this cake twice last week.
The second time we sugared some strawberries and made homemade whipped cream and layered all of it together and omg.
It’s also the perfect breakfast cake because it’s not overly sweet and you know I’m just not a fan of a super sweet breakfast.
I’m obsessed with putting sour cream in things right now because it just makes everything so soft and moist. Like, those blueberry pancakes I posted last week. Or this Blueberry Sour Cream Crumb Cake from my BFF Nicole that I’ve made more times than I can count.
The cake is made with all really simple ingredients that you probably already. Plus, fresh blueberries and orange zest. And if you don’t have sour cream, plain yogurt will work the same!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, washed and dried
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line the bottom of an 8-inch cake pan with parchment and spray the sides with baking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, vanilla, and orange zest and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt to remove any lumps. Add half to the butter, followed by the sour cream. Add the remaining flour and the milk. Beat until combined.
- In another bowl, toss blueberries with remaining tablespoon of flour. Fold the blueberries into the batter.
- Transfer batter to the prepared pan and smooth out the top. Sprinkle with remaining tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for 50 - 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cool on wire rack before running a knife around the sides and removing from pan. Serve with whipped cream if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 262 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 51mg Sodium: 140mg Carbohydrates: 35g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 18g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 4g
Want more coffee cake recipes?