Strawberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake – cake for breakfast! Coffee cake filled with strawberry cheesecake and topped with crumb topping!
I’m breaking all my rules with this one.
Normally, stuff in my favorite cake would be a big no no in my house. I like my coffee cake to be just cake with a ton of crumbly topping. And then I just eat the crumbly topping off and leave the rest in the pan.
But this cake really called out to me for some reason!
Strawberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake!
It’s got the cake and the crumbles that I love but it also has a layer of cheesecake-y filling and a layer of sweetened strawberries.
It’s good. It’s really, really good.
I caught both the baby and the husky trying to sneak a piece off the counter so… I mean, that probably doesn’t tell you much since both will eat pretty much anything… but, yeah I’m not sure where I was going with that one.
You should just make it. And don’t tell me you’re not a sweet breakfast person. Because I’m not either. But cake for lunch? I can get into that.
More Coffee Cake Recipes
Blueberry Orange Coffee Cake – soft and delicious coffee cake with blueberries and orange zest. The perfect summer breakfast cake!
Blueberry Sour Cream Crumb Bake – the sour cream adds the perfect amount of tartness to balance out the sweetness of the blueberries and crumb topping.
NY Style Coffee Cake – tender cake with a thick crum topping. This is my favorite coffee cake ever!
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For the cake and crumb topping:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cold and cut into chunks
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the cream cheese filling:
- 1 8 ounce cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
For the strawberry filling:
- 1 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray an 8-inch springform pan with baking spray.
To make the strawberry filling:
- Combine the cornstarch and water to make a slurry in a bowl.
- Mix the strawberries and sugar in a pan and heat over low heat for about 5 minutes or until the strawberries have released their juices. Stir in cornstarch slurry; continue stirring until it has thickened slightly. Remove from heat and allow to cool while you work on the rest of the cake.
To make the cream cheese filling:
- Beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar and egg and continue beating until everything is smooth. Set aside.
To make the cake:
- Combine the flour and sugar together in a bowl. Using a pastry cutter or just 2 forks, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Measure 3/4 cup of the mixture and set aside. Add the baking soda, baking powder and salt and mix well.
- In another bowl, beat the sour cream, egg and vanilla extract until well blended. Using a hand whisk or a spoon, stir gently into the flour mixture until just incorporated. Batter may be a bit lumpy. Set aside.
- Spread the batter into the bottom of the prepared pan. Pour the cream cheese mixture over the batter. Spread the strawberry filling on top of the cream cheese filling. Sprinkle the remaining 3/4 cup crumbs over the strawberry filling.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes before removing the cake.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 504Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 118mgSodium: 388mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 1gSugar: 33gProtein: 7g