Caprese Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing – the classic combination of tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil with a deliicous warm bacon dressing drizzled over top.
Yesterday I mentioned that our summer had been nutso but didn’t really tell you why.
So now we’re going to talk about Hurricane Sofia.
Yeah, the dog.
Less than two weeks after we adopted her, she broke her leg. Having a dog with a broken leg is, like, one of the most horrible things ever.
And no matter how many times the vet says, “It happens! Puppies are just like little kids – they break their limbs!”, I still cry “I’M AFRAID HER SPIRIT IS BROKEN!” every time we go in there.
Which, if you follow me anywhere, you know is a lot.
She’s on her 5th cast.
This is only the 3rd week of having a cast.
She ate the first one. She also ate the cone I put on her to keep her from eating it.
The second one just fell off. Literally just fell off.
While she was at the vet to replace the one that fell off, she chewed up the 3rd cast before they could get a cone her on. So they put another on.
And then she needed a bigger size last week.
The ironic part is that I totally sold my husband on the idea of another puppy by saying “We only have to pay the adoption fee! She’s already fixed and everything! She will be so cheap!”
So that’s taken up a good portion of the summer. I’ve seen the vet here more in 2 months than I saw our vet in Colorado in 4 years.
Caprese Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing!
The summer hasn’t been all vet visits though.
My husband’s sisters and their families came to visit last week which was a lot of fun. I had a delicious caprese salad one night when we all went out and fresh mozzarella has been on my mind ever since.
I made this Caprese Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing for a late Sunday lunch/early dinner and it was so perfect. My husband and I just stood over the counter, sharing the serving plate.
And lucky for me, he’s not eating cheese so I got all the mozzarella!
More Salad Recipes
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 2 1/2 pound tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 16 ounce package fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 12-inch slices
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 6 thick bacon slices, chopped
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Arrange tomatoes, cheese, and basil leaves on serving platter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Saute chopped bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove from heat. Transfer 3 tablespoons of the bacon fat into a mixing bowl. Let stand for 1 minute. Whisk in vinegar, salt, and pepper. Still in bacon pieces. Drizzle over the salad right before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 317Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 854mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 22g