Do you guys leave anything for the Easter Bunny?
I don’t remember leaving anything as a kid (maybe I did?) but my husband insists that he likes carrots and my oldest insists that he also likes hard-boiled eggs.
I’m hoping that maybe he’ll leave me a basket this year if I switch things up and leave these Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies for him instead of boring carrots and eggs.
If you are a carrot cake fan, you will love these whoopie pies. It’s basically just a rearranged carrot cake cupcake! They’re really good and for some reason, even though I know that it’s technically two tiny cakes stuffed with cream cheese frosting, I still feel like it’s just an innocent cookie and I don’t feel guilty eating more than one.
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 2 cups shredded carrot
- ⅔ cup brown sugar, divided
- ¼ cup butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt, plus a pinch, divided
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine shredded carrots and 3 tablespoons brown sugar in a bowl; toss to coat. Place carrot mixture in a fine mesh sieve; let stand for 10 minutes. Discard liquid.
- Microwave 2 tablespoons butter in a medium microwave-safe bowl until melted, about 45 seconds. Add oil, orange zest, ½ teaspoon vanilla, and egg. Whisk until well combined.
- In a separate large bowl, combined flour, remaining brown sugar (about ½ cup), cinnamon, salt, and baking soda; whisk together. Add carrot mixture and butter mixture; stir until everything is incorporated.
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets. You should get 28 cookies. Gently pat dough down to form 2-inch circles.
- Bake for 11 - 13 minutes or until cookies are set. Let cool completely on wire rack.
- Combine cream cheese, remaining 2 tablespoons butter, remaining ¼ teaspoon vanilla, and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Add powdered sugar and milk; beat at a very low speed until combined.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon on flat side of 1 cookie, top with another cookie, flat side down. Repeat with remaining cookies and filling.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 215Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 153mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 2g