Have you ever had the worst craving for a cinnamon roll but been stranded at home because your husband took your car to work because it’s snowing and he refuses to put new windshield wipers on his car? And you obviously can’t make cinnamon rolls from scratch because that would way too long. Plus you would be left with a pan of cream cheese frosting-covered cinnamon rolls and you’re already having trouble buttoning your jeans so yeah. Cinnamon rolls are out.
But these guys? All the taste of cinnamon rolls (without the frosting, obviously) but they’re a million times easier to make. Hands-on time for this recipe was less than 15 minutes!
I made these guys for Red Star Yeast and they are so delicious. It’s basically a soft yeast dough that’s sprinkled with pecans and cinnamon sugar before being rolled out and cut into strips. The strips are twisted and then baked. The cinnamon twists are incredibly simple to make and like I mentioned, took hardly any time. I used Red Star Yeast’s Platinum and they rose beautifully and pretty quick considering how cold it’s been here lately.
If you’re looking for a quick, easy, comforting after-school snack or breakfast or maybe even dinner, you should definitely give these guys a try.
For the dough:
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup water
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup butter
- 3 ½ cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 4 ½ teaspoon active dry yeast
For the filling:
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat Oven to 375F
- In large mixer bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, ⅓ cup sugar, and salt; mix well. Heat milk, water and ⅓ cup butter until very warm (120-130 F; butter does not need to melt). Add to flour mixture. Add egg. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, gradually stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.
- PREPARE FILLING: Combine ⅓ cup sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- Punch down dough. On lightly floured surface roll dough to a 12 x 8-inch rectangle. Sprinkle with nuts; press into dough. Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mixture over dough. Cut dough in half crosswise. Cut each half into 6 strips, 2 inches wide. Twist each strip 2 or 3 times with cinnamon side out. Place twists in greased 13 x 9-inch cake pan. Cover; let rise in warm place until indentation remains after touching.
- Bake at 375F for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan. Cool.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 178Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 147mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 4g
This post sponsored by Red Star Yeast. All opinions are my own.