Ham and Lentil Soup is the perfect way to use leftover ham! Ham, lentils, and loaded with veggies. It’s quick, inexpensive, and delicious!
Tomorrow is December 1.
Are we sure it’s really the last day of November?
Like, sure sure?
Anyway, I’m putting my Christmas tree up today because if I don’t do it now, tomorrow I’ll start the “Well, it’s too late now! Christmas is practically here!” thing and we just won’t have a Christmas tree this year.
Okay, let’s talk Christmas dinner. Do you do ham?
We do ham and then we buy a ton of those yummy Hawaiian rolls and make sandwiches. Honestly, my favorite part of Christmas. I have ham sandwiches for breakfast, lunch, and diner for daaaaaaaays.
Ham and Lentil Soup!
If we get tired of sandwiches, I always make a big batch of soup with whatever ham we have left.
This Ham and Lentil Soup is perfect for that because I almost always have all the ingredients on hand and it comes together in no time.
Plus, my kids – who are pretty weird about things about obvious veggies – will eat it. Kale and all!
So yeah, it’s got the ham and the lentils but it also has kale, fire-roasted diced tomatoes, carrots, and onions. You could throw in some celery but I’m not into that so I leave it out. Simmer it all together with some chicken broth until the lentils are tender and it’s good to go.
I serve it with corn muffins and it’s perfection.
More Soup Recipes
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cups Smithfield Spiral Sliced Smoked Ham, diced
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 14-ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups kale, roughly chopped
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large soup pot. Add onion and carrots and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and ham and cook, stirring, for another 30 seconds, until the garlic is fragrant. Add lentils, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, bay leaves, and chicken broth.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir in chopped kale; simmer for another 15 minutes. Discard bay leaves before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 146Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 419mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 6gSugar: 4gProtein: 13g