Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup – quick cooking chicken soup with rice, vegetables, and a light lemony broth. It’s my favorite winter soup and great for when you’re feeling a little under the weather!
This was my favorite soup last winter. I made it pretty much every week.
It has a light lemony chicken broth, shredded chicken, rice, veggies, and fresh dill. It’s different enough from the usual chicken soup to be interesting but also close enough to still feel comforting.
It’s great when you’re sick or just when it’s cold outside or really any time you just need a big bowl of comfort.
I also have a Chicken and Wild Rice Soup recipe that I make constantly during the winter!
- Olive oil
- White onion
- White rice – use any kind of white rice you like, I used basmati. If you want to use brown rice, you will need to up the cooking time according to the rice packaging and add extra broth
- Low-sodium chicken broth
- Cooked shredded chicken
- Fresh lemon juice
- Fresh dill
- Salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large dutch oven
- Add onion and carrots; cook until they begin to soften
- Add garlic and rice; cook until garlic is fragrant
- Add chicken broth
- Bring to a boil, cover, and lower to a simmer; cook until rice is done, about 15 minutes
- Stir in lemon juice and fresh dill
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
How Long Is It Good For?
Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup will be good in the fridge for up to 3 – 4 days. Make sure to store it in an airtight container.
When you reheat it, if it seems to thick, you can add more chicken broth to reach the desired consistency.
Can You Freeze It?
Yes, you can freeze this soup!
Make sure to let it cool completely and put it in a freezer-safe airtight container. It will be good in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To defrost, let the soup sit in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat as desired. If it’s too thick, add more chicken broth to get it back to it’s original consistency.
More Soup Recipes
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Dill Pickle Soup
- Instant Pot Corn Chowder
- Spicy Wonton Soup
- Panera Autumn Squash Soup
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup white rice
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add onion and carrots and cook until they begin to soften and onion starts to turn translucent.
- Add garlic and rice; cook, stirring, until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer, cover, and cook until rice is cooked, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in cooked chicken, lemon juice, and fresh dill.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot with more fresh dill on top, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 180Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 165mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 16g