The perfect easy summer treat! Mint Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwich Cake has layers of ice cream sandwiches, mint whipped cream, chocolate chips, and chocolate syrup. It takes about 15 minutes to prep and is the easiest way to make an ice cream cake!
I always say I am not an ice cream person. And when I say that, I mean I don’t ever want a bowl of plain, smooth ice cream. I need stuff in my ice cream. Sauces, crunchy things, salty things, nuts, you know.
Last summer I become obsessed with ice cream sandwich cakes because they have all the things I love in an ice cream dessert. And last summer was HOT. Ice cream was required.
This mint chocolate chip ice cream sandwich cake has layers of ice cream sandwiches (so you get the chocolate cookies and the creamy vanilla ice cream), layers of mint flavored whipped cream, and mini chocolate chips and chocolate sauce.
I can’t ask for more in an ice cream treat!
Plus, it’s really, really easy to make!
Why You’re Going To Love This Recipe
- This is a semi-homemade recipe that tastes incredible! You are going to be able to put this together in less than 15 minutes, freeze it for a few hours, and I promise everyone is going to be so impressed!
- Who doesn’t love mint chocolate chip?! It’s one of those flavors that just feels like summer to me.
Ingredients for Mint Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
- Ice cream sandwiches – just the regular vanilla ice cream and chocolate sandwich cookie ice cream sandwiches from any grocery store.
- Cool Whip – you can use lite or regular Cool Whip for this recipe.
- Green gel food coloring – I recommend gel over liquid food coloring so the green layer doesn’t get too thin. If liquid is all you can find, just add a couple drops.
- Peppermint extract – make sure it’s peppermint extract and not mint extract which has more of a spearmint flavor.
- Mini chocolate chips – I like how the mini chips look on it, but feel free to use regular chocolate chips if you already have them.
- Chocolate sauce – like the kind you use to make chocolate milk or drizzle over ice cream. You can use a jar of hot fudge but you may need to warm it slightly to get it to a drizzly consistency.
- Ice cream sandwich layer. Unwrap 12 of the sandwiches and lay them in a single layer in a 9×13-inch pan. Cut to fit if necessary.
- Make mint layer. Fold together Cool Whip, and green food coloring, and peppermint extract until you reach the desired shade of mint green.
- Layer. Spread half of the Cool Whip mixture on top of the ice cream sandwich layer.Sprinkle with half of the mini chocolate chips.
- Repeat. Repeat with remaining ice cream sandwiches, Cool Whip mixture, and mini chocolate chips.
- Freeze. Cover and freeze for 4 hours.
- Serve! Before serving, drizzle with chocolate sauce. Cut into squares and serve!
How Long Is It Good For?
If you have leftovers, this ice cream sandwich cake will stay good for up to a week in the freezer.
I would tightly press plastic wrap onto the top to keep as much air as possible out.
Tips and Tricks
- You can use an equal amount of homemade whipped cream if you don’t want to use Cool Whip. However, homemade whipped cream isn’t going to freeze as well as Cool Whip so if you think you’ll have a lot of leftovers, I wouldn’t recommend going the homemade route.
- If you are against food coloring, leave it out! Just warn your guests that it’s mint chocolate chip so they aren’t surpised.
More Frozen Treats
- Circus Animal Cookie Ice Cream
- Pistachio Ice Cream with Chocolate Chunks
- Homemade Orange Sherbet
- Reese’s Pieces Milkshake
- Frozen Lemonade Pie
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 24 ice cream sandwiches
- 1 (16 ounce) container Cool Whip, thawed
- green gel food coloring
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- ¼ cup chocolate sauce (either the kind you'd use to make hot chocolate or jarred hot fudge)
- Unwrap 12 of the sandwiches and lay them in a single layer in a 9x13-inch pan. You may need to slice 1 or 2 of the sandwiches to make them fit.
- In a large mixing bowl, fold together Cool Whip, and green food coloring, and peppermint extract until you reach the desired shade of mint green.
- Spread half of the Cool Whip mixture on top of the ice cream sandwich layer.
- Sprinkle with half of the mini chocolate chips.
- Repeat with remaining ice cream sandwiches, Cool Whip mixture, and mini chocolate chips.
- Cover and freeze for 4 hours.
- Before serving, drizzle with chocolate sauce. Cut into squares and serve!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 232Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 112mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 0gSugar: 20gProtein: 4g