This best winter comfort food! Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili is full of shredded chicken, green chiles, white beans, and lots of spice! Top it with fresh cilantro, lime wedges, sour cream, and jalapenos.
I love making big batches of chili in the cooler months. Some of my other favorites are Slow Cooker Butternut Squash and Turkey Chili and Smoky Bacon Chili.
Originally published December 2, 2010. Updated November 10, 2021.
This White Chicken Chili is one of my alltime favorite winter dinners. It’s warm and comforting, spiced but not spicy, and best of all, cooked in the slow cooker!
It’s full of chicken, white beans, green chiles, and then you can add whatever toppings you like!
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- White onion
- Cannellini beans
- Green chilies
- Low-sodium chicken broth
- Dried oregano
- Black pepper
- Toppings of choice – we like sour cream, fresh cilantro, jalapeno slices, and lots of lime juice. You could add tortilla chips or cheddar cheese, too!
- Combine ingredients. Add everything but toppings to slow cooker and give it a stir.
- Slow cooker. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high 3-4 hours.
- Shred chicken. Use tongs to remove chicken to a cutting board and shred chicken. Set aside.
- Thicken chili. Use an immersion blender to blend up about ¼ of the bean/liquid mixture. This will help to thicken the broth. (If you don’t have an immersion blender, transfer about ¼ of the brothy bean mixture to a blender and carefully blend; return to slow cooker.)
- Combine everything. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Top and serve. Serve hot. Add toppings to individual bowls of chili.
How Long Is It Good For?
White chicken chili is good for about 3 days in the fridge. Make sure to store it in an airtight container – these glass airtight containers are my favorite for leftovers.
When you are ready to serve it, reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop. If it’s thickened up a lot, add more chicken broth or water to get it back to it’s original consistency.
Can You Freeze It?
I love keeping a batch of white chicken chili in the freezer for busy winter nights!
To freeze, let it cool completely and then transfer to a freezer-safe airtight soup container. It can be frozen for up to 3 months.
When you are ready to enjoy it, let it defrost overnight in the fridge and then reheat on the stove. It will probably be thicker than you remember but a couple splashes of chicken broth or water will loosen it up again.
Tips and Tricks
- You can start with frozen chicken breasts – no need to defrost! I used frozen and they were ready to shred after 4 hours on high.
- If you want it to be a spicy chili, add one minced jalapeno to the slow cooker.
- Look for a creamy chili? Stir in about 4 ounces of cream cheese right at the end of cooking.
More Chicken Soup Recipes
- Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup
- Chicken and Wild Rice Soup (Panera Copycat)
- Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest for even more!
White Chicken Chili
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15 ounce cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- toppings (cilantro, sour cream, cheese, jalapeno, limes, tortilla chips)
- Add everything but toppings to slow cooker and give it a stir.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high 3-4 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred. Set aside.
- Use an immersion blender to blend up about ¼ of the bean/liquid mixture. (If you don't have an immersion blender, transfer about ¼ of the brothy bean mixture to a blender and carefully blend; return to slow cooker.)
- Return chicken to slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Serve hot. Add toppings to individual bowls of chili.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 354Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 698mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 9gSugar: 2gProtein: 40g
This quickly became a favorite meal at my house! So comforting!
I love all these flavors is one dish! The perfect dinner for the cold weather!
Erin | Dinners,Dishes and Dessert says
I’m drooling! This is everything I love!
I just had to pop by and say how much I love this recipe. I’ve had it bookmarked for years, and I’ve made it so many times. It’s fantastic!
This is my all time favorite chili for this time of the year! Your recipe looks amazing!
This sounds so yummy! I’m always looking for more slow cooker recipes and this one looks like it’s going to be a hit!
This is really good! My family loved this comforting meal!
Allyson Zea says
This is my favorite type of chili! Thanks for the easy recipe!