This Chicken and Wild Rice Soup tastes just like Panera’s but you don’t have to leave your house! Creamy soup with wild rice, chicken, and veggies. The whole family will love this one!
Meet my current favorite soup.
I’ve made it twice in the last few weeks.
I don’t even like soup. But I could eat this every day for a month and not be sick of it.
It’s supposed to be like the Panera Chicken and Wild Rice Soup but I can’t tell you for certain. I’ve never tried that one because I am too busy ordering the broccoli cheese soup. In a bread bowl. With an extra baguette.
Because I really want to gain 20 pounds before bikini season.
This is THE EASIEST soup you will ever make. And I make it even easier by grabbing a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and just shredding it.
So good. So easy. I’ll probably make it again next week. And the week after that. And probably every time it gets cold because it is the ultimate comfort food. Especially with some fresh bread on the side.
Definitely double it if you are feeding more than a few people or want some leftovers. I’m even going to consider tripling it if I can find a pot big enough. It reheats really well so it would be perfect for making a big batch on the weekend and taking it for lunch all week long.
- Red onion
- Dried marjoram
- All-purpose flour
- Wild rice mix with spice packet
- Low-sodium chicken broth
- Heavy cream
- Cooked and shredded chicken
What Rice Mix Do I Use?
I’ve tried several different options of wild rice mix in this soup. My favorite is the Near East Long Grain & Wild Rice which is available in pretty much all grocery stores including Walmart and Target.
If you can’t find that one, Uncle Ben’s Long Grain & Wild Rice is very similar and also available in most grocery stores.
How To Make Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Cook onion and carrot over medium heat until softened
- Add dried marjoram, flour, and seasoning packet from the rice
- Add rice, chicken broth, and water
- Bring to a boil, cover, and lower to a simmer
- Let cook for 15 minutes
- Heat heavy cream and milk in a small saucepan; stir into the soup
- Stir in shredded chicken
- Cook about 30 minutes or until the rice is cooked through
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
Can You Freeze Chicken Wild Rice Soup?
Chicken Wild Rice Soup isn’t the best soup to freeze.
Soups with rice tend to change texture when frozen and soups made with dairy do the same. So you would really need to freeze the soup without the rice, cream, and milk and at the point, it’s just easier to make it fresh.
Can You Make Chicken Wild Rice Soup Ahead?
I don’t recommend making this soup too far ahead. The rice will continue to absorb liquid as it sits so you’ll end up with a thicker, casserole-like dish if it sits in the fridge more than a day or so.
You can do parts of the recipe ahead of time. You can cook and shred the chicken ahead of time (I tend to buy a rotisserie chicken) and chop all the veggies ahead of time. From there, everything is pretty much hands off so it won’t require much effort from you.
It is perfectly same to consume for up to 3 days in the fridge. If the soup gets too thick, a couple splashes of chicken broth will help loosen it up when you reheat it.
What Goes with Chicken and Wild Rice Soup?
If you are looking for something a little heartier, my Oatmeal Rolls are a great option.
A simple side salad is always a great option when serving soup, as well.
More Soup Recipes
- Autumn Squash Soup
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato Broccoli Soup
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Spicy Coconut Wonton Soup
- Black Bean Soup
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- ½ cup carrots, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 package Near East Long Grain & Wild Rice with Flavor Packet
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup cooked and shredded chicken
- salt, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Melt coconut oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onion and carrots and cook until softened. Add dried marjoram, flour, and seasoning packet from the rice; stir to combine.
- Add rice, chicken broth, and water; bring to a boil. Cover, lower to a simmer, and let cook for 15 minutes.
- Heat heavy cream and milk in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir into the soup. Stir in the shredded chicken.
- Cook about 30 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 servings Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 334Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 283mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 17g