This Chicken and Wild Rice Soup tastes just like Panera’s but you don’t have to leave your house! Creamy soup with wild rice, chicken, and veggies. The whole family will love this one!
Craving chicken soup? Try our Chicken Tortellini Soup, Lemon Chicken and Rice Soup, or Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup!
Meet my current favorite soup.
I’ve made it twice in the last few weeks.
It’s supposed to be like the Panera Chicken and Wild Rice Soup but I can’t tell you for certain. I’ve never tried that one because I am too busy ordering the broccoli cheese soup. In a bread bowl. With an extra baguette.
Because I really want to gain 20 pounds before bikini season.
This is THE EASIEST soup you will ever make. And I make it even easier by grabbing a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and just shredding it.
So good. So easy. I’ll probably make it again next week. And the week after that. And probably every time it gets cold because it is the ultimate comfort food. Especially with some fresh bread on the side.
Definitely double it if you are feeding more than a few people or want some leftovers. I’m even going to consider tripling it if I can find a pot big enough. It reheats really well so it would be perfect for making a big batch on the weekend and taking it for lunch all week long.
- Olive oil
- Red onion
- Dried marjoram
- Near East Long Grain & Wild Rice with Flavor Packet (if you can’t find that one, use the Uncle Ben’s version)
- Low sodium chicken broth
- Heavy cream
- Cooked chicken
- Heat olive oil in a heavy bottom soup bottom over medium heat.
- Add onion and carrots and cook until softened. Add dried marjoram, flour, and seasoning packet from the rice; stir to combine.
- Add rice, chicken broth, and water; bring to a boil.
- Cover, lower to a simmer, and let cook for 15 minutes.
- Heat heavy cream and milk in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir into the soup.
- Stir in the shredded chicken.
- Cook about 30 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
How Long Is It Good For?
This soup is good for about 3 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
When you are ready to serve it, you can reheat on the stovetop or microwave. If the soup has thickened too much, use a splash of chicken broth or water to get it back to it’s original consistency.
Can You Freeze Chicken Wild Rice Soup?
You can freeze this soup for up to 3 months. Make sure to cool it completely before transferring to a freezer-safe soup container and putting it in the freezer.
The night before you plan to serve it, let it defrost overnight in the fridge and then you can reheat on the stovetop. If it’s thickened, a little bit of chicken broth or water will help to get it back to it’s original consistency.
Can You Make Chicken Wild Rice Soup Ahead?
This soup is fine to make the morning of or even the night before you plan to serve it. Just store it in an airtight container in the fridge until you are ready to serve it – and if it’s too thick, add water or chicken broth until it reaches the desired consitency.
What Goes with Chicken and Wild Rice Soup?
I like to serve it with a bread. I really like my 7Up Biscuits which are soft and fluffy and total comfort food. I also have a homemade crescent roll recipe that would be delicious.
If you are looking for something a little heartier, my Oatmeal Rolls are a great option.
A simple side salad is always a great option when serving soup, as well.
More Soup Recipes
- Autumn Squash Soup
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato Broccoli Soup
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Spicy Coconut Wonton Soup
- Black Bean Soup
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest for even more!
Chicken and Wild Rice Soup (Panera Copycat)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- ½ cup carrots, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 package Near East Long Grain & Wild Rice with Flavor Packet
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup cooked and shredded chicken
- salt, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a heavy bottom soup bottom over medium heat. Add onion and carrots and cook until softened. Add dried marjoram, flour, and seasoning packet from the rice; stir to combine.
- Add rice, chicken broth, and water; bring to a boil. Cover, lower to a simmer, and let cook for 15 minutes.
- Heat heavy cream and milk in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir into the soup. Stir in the shredded chicken.
- Cook about 30 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 servings Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 334Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 283mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 17g
Andrea Schmeck says
Amazing recipe…perfect for hubby and myself. Used the broth from cooking chicken off instead of the water & added a bit of better than bouillon…would definitely double for company or family. I’m very persnickety and thought it was perfect!
Has anyone made this in a slow cooker?
This was absolutely delicious!! Added 1 stalk of celery (chopped), more carrots and used 3 cups of chicken to hike up the protein. Also used milk instead of cream. Great with warm naan bread. I’ll be making this again! Thank you for this recipe.
I make this soup weekly (while it’s still chilly here in TX) and it never disappoints! My husband doesn’t love soup, but LOVES THIS SOUP!! Thank you very much for the great recipe!
Anna Duke says
Can you make this in the slow cooker?
Anna duke says
How much chicken should i use if doubling it? I know it would be 2 cups but is that the same as 2 chicken breasts??
Amanda Livesay says
Yes, probably about 2 breasts depending on the size.
Lucie Prunier says
Hi, this is so yummy! I just made it.