Well, first off, I’m very sorry about that forever long absence. We were super busy for awhile, then my camera was MIA, and once I finally got my camera back I was so out of the habit of cooking/blogging that I just kept putting off making something worthy of the blog. Lucky for you (or unlucky?) these cupcakes have been on my mind for weeks.
Everyone always talks about the boxed Funfetti mixes but I’m not sure I’ve ever tried them which is shocking because I have a deep love of sprinkles. Anyway, I was so excited when I stumbled upon a homemade version and like I said, I couldn’t stop thinking about them. They’re basically just a vanilla cupcake with a touch of almond extract. And lots of sprinkles of course! I added way more sprinkles than the recipe calls for and I definitely suggest that you do the same if you decide to make these guys.
I did a basic vanilla buttercream but any flavor would be great. I started with a stick of softened butter and added powdered sugar and heavy cream until I got it the consistency I wanted. A splash of vanilla is lovely as well. Top with more sprinkles. Obviously.
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line or spray 12 muffin cups.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir together and set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg whites to the bowl and beat until combined. Add in the vanilla and almond extracts and mix until incorporated. Mix in the dry ingredients in three additions, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix just until incorporated. Fold in the sprinkles with a spatula.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Allow to cool in pans 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
from Amber’s Delectable Delights