Oh berry season, the best time of the year. It rivals the holidays in my book. There’s nothing prettier than bright strawberries nestled in a pie crust or like this bar, blueberries covered in a streusel topping.
These bars were delicious, easy, and took no time to make which means these are pretty much perfect. The streusel is made from the same dough that the bottom is made of which makes it that much easier. As always, I used my fingers to make the dough because I don’t own a food processor and I threw my pastry cutter out the first time I used it, so don’t be discouraged if you don’t own either of them. The one complaint I have, which isn’t really even a complaint, is that the crust and topping got soft after sitting overnight. I think these would be great for a potluck or an office party or somewhere where they would all be consumed in one day.
from My Baking Addiction
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 9x13 inch pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, salt, lemon zest and baking powder.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg and vanilla together until combined.
- Use pastry cutter or your food processor to blend the flour mixture with the butter and egg/vanilla mixture. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.
- In another bowl, stir together 1/2 sugar and cornstarch. Gently mix in the blueberries. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.