Walking Tacos – Fritos, taco meat, beans, cheese, and sour cream layered in the chip bag for an easy dinner idea! Kids love these!
One reason I’m not 100% convinced my children are actually mine is that they don’t like tacos.
A few weeks ago – you know, when we were 2 hours early for a fair that’s an hour away and were in a town that literally only has a general store so we had to drive 20 minutes to find the nearest restaurant – we went out for Mexican and while I had delicious Tacos Al Pastor, all 3 of them ordered…
Yeah, this is my life.
So making anything that even slightly resembles a taco is always risky.
We made these Walking Tacos last week mainly because I required a margarita (coming tomorrow!) for Big Brother and I can’t really have margarita without a taco. My kids LOVED them. They literally walked circles in the living while eating them. Because why sit with your Walking Taco when you can walk circles?
We ran out of Fritos after the first night so the next day, they put the rest of the taco meat on Cool Ranch Doritos.
These are super simple and are perfect for feeding a crowd. If you serve them with plastic utensils, you’ll have no clean-up to do!
How To Make Walking Tacos
- Cook ground beef until no longer pink, breaking it into crumbles as it cooks
- Add taco seasoning, black pepper, diced tomatoes with green chiles, and beans
- Simmer mixture until thickened
- To assemble, add beef mixture over top of Fritos in small bags
- Add shredded cheese, sour cream, and green onions
- Enjoy immediately!
What To Serve With Walking Tacos
I think Walking Tacos are a meal all their own but my Restaurant-Style Salsa or Queso would be delicious toppings for them. My Grilled Corn Guacamole is another great option!
If you want a side dish, my Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice or Roasted Corn with Parmesan and Lime are both delicious!
More Taco Recipes
- Fish Tacos with Guacamole and Cabbage Slaw
- Slow Cooker Carnitas Street Tacos
- Sweet Pork Tacos with Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos
- Taco Pasta
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest for even more!
adapted from Taste of Home
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 1.25 ounce taco seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 10 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 1 15 ounce can Ranch Style beans (pinto beans in seasoned tomato sauce)
- 6 1 ounce packages corn chips
- shredded cheese, sour cream, sliced green onions, for serving
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add beef and cook 6 - 8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking it into crumbles. Drain if necessary. Stir in the taco seasoning mix, pepper, tomatoes, and beans. Bring to a boil; simmer uncovered 20 minutes or until the mixture has thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Just before serving, open corn chip bags. Add beef mixture and desired toppings. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 466Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 1711mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 6gSugar: 5gProtein: 29g
Chelsea @chelseasmessyapron says
This is SUCH a fun recipe! My nephews would go nuts over this. Plus I love the no clean up and take em wherever you go! I totally want to try this on the cool ranch doritos – sounds delicious.
nicole @ I am a Honey Bee says
HAHAHA I love that they walked around while eating this. so cute
Cate @ Chez CateyLou says
I love this idea! Delicious and so cute – I can see why your kiddos loved it!
Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen says
I’m 10 years old I swear because I LOVE walking tacos! Ugh and I hear you about the kids..my kids don’t like Mexican food at all and it makes me so so sad. Maybe I can convince them to try walking tacos…