Banana Pudding Ice Cream – everything you love about banana pudding as an ice cream!
Growing up I always confused banana pudding and banana splits.
Don’t ask me how, I just did.
I would request Blue Bell’s Banana Split ice cream thinking that I was asking for Banana Pudding and then I would be so disappointed when my beloved ice cream had cherries in it.
It happened every single time.
Banana Pudding Ice Cream!
Well no more disappointment for me.
I can make my own banana pudding ice cream that is every bit as good as Blue Bell’s, maybe even better.
It really tastes like I took a big pan of banana pudding and put it in the freezer. It’s safe to say that it’s my new favorite ice cream and even my husband, who is a die-hard strawberry ice cream fan, said it was one of my best.
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
Banana Pudding Ice Cream
adapted from Southern Living
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 medium-size ripe bananas (cut into ½-inch slices)
- ⅓ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup coarsely crumbled vanilla wafers (plus more for sprinkling on top)
- Whisk together first 3 ingredients in a large heavy saucepan. Gradually whisk in milk and cream. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 10 to 12 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat.
- Whisk egg yolk until slightly thickened. Gradually whisk about 1 cup hot cream mixture into yolk. Add yolk mixture to remaining cream mixture, whisking constantly. Whisk in vanilla extract. Cool 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400F. Combine bananas, brown sugar, and butter in a 2-qt. baking dish. Bake 20 minutes or until browned and softened, stirring after 10 minutes. Let cool 30 minutes
- Coarsely mash banana mixture; stir into cooled cream mixture. Place plastic wrap directly on cream mixture, and chill 8 to 24 hours.
- Pour mixture into freezer container of a 1 ½-qt. electric ice-cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Before transferring ice cream to an airtight container for further freezing, stir in vanilla wafers. Sprinkle more crushed wafers over top before serving.
Things you may need for this recipe:
Want more homemade ice cream recipes?