Butternut Squash and Black Bean Tostadas – black beans seasoned with chili powder and lime juice on top of butternut squash and crunchy tostadas. Topped with queso fresco and crisp lettuce.
I also have a Guacamole Tostadas recipe that we love!
Butternut squash and black beans are one of my alltime favorite combinations. Sounds weird, I know, but you’ve got to give it a try!
They work especially great in dishes like this, with kind of Mexican influences. The beans are tossed with chili powder and lime juice and I just love it with the slight sweetness of the butternut squash.
You top it off with lettuce and queso fresco! Or in my case, feta, because the queso fresco fell out of the grocery bag and stayed in the trunk for literally a week and a half before I remembered to throw it out.
- Butternut squash – I always buy the cubed squash to make my life easier. You could also buy the steam-in-the-bag kind to make it even easier! Just skip the boiling part of the recipe.
- Ancho chile powder
- Black beans
- Green onions
- Lime juice
- Ground cumin
- Iceberg lettuce
- Tostada shells
- Queso fresco – queso fresco is widely available around me but I’m in Texas so if you have trouble finding it, feta tastes almost identical
- Cook squash. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add butternut squash and let cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and return to the pan.
- Season squash. Add 1 ½ teaspoons chile powder and salt. Mash until almost smooth.
- Season beans. Meanwhile, combine beans, green onions, lime juice, cumin and the remaining ½ teaspoon chile powder in a mixing bowl bowl.
- Assemble. Spread about ¼ cup mashed squash on each tostada. Top each with about 3 tablespoons of the bean mixture, ¼ cup lettuce and 1 tablespoon cheese.
Can You Make It Ahead?
You can make the different components ahead of time, like the squash mixture and seasoning the black beans. But don’t assemble the tostadas or they will lose all their crispiness.
The good news is, one the squash and beans are prepared, these takes only minutes to assemble!
More Squash Recipes
- Autumn Squash Soup
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash and Turkey Chili
- Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- Butternut Squash and Crab Bisque
- Mac and Cheese Stuffed Acorn Squash
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 ½ pounds butternut squash, cubed
- 2 teaspoons ancho chile powder, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 15- ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 cups chopped lettuce
- 8 to stada shells
- ½ cup crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add butternut squash and let cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and return to the pan. Add 1 ½ teaspoons chile powder and salt. Mash until almost smooth.
- Meanwhile, combine beans, green onions, lime juice, cumin and the remaining ½ teaspoon chile powder in a mixing bowl bowl.
- Spread about ¼ cup mashed squash on each tostada. Top each with about 3 tablespoons of the bean mixture, ¼ cup lettuce and 1 tablespoon cheese.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 573Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 866mgCarbohydrates: 104gFiber: 18gSugar: 6gProtein: 25g