Three Bean Enchilada Casserole – black beans, pinto beans, and kidney beans layered with corn tortillas, enchilada sauce, and cheese. An easy meatless meal the whole family will love!
We had soccer all day Saturday (one win and one devastating 11-0 loss) and then I started The Act on Hulu. Then I obviously had to watch every single documentary about the crime the show is based on.
Which lead to a Disappeared marathon and now it’s Monday morning.
I’ve got a kid that doesn’t eat meat. And by “doesn’t eat meat” I mean meatballs are fine and hot dogs are fine and burgers are too.
But ground turkey? Nope. Chicken? Nope. Pork chops? NOPE.
It’s one of the more frustrating things about being a parent.
But I finally have a meatless recipe that my other kids won’t complain about. Even my kid that “doesn’t like beans” loved this Three Bean Enchilada Casserole.
And I love that it’s quick, easy, and super budget friendly! And that I almost always have most of the ingredients on hand already.
- White onion
- Green bell pepper
- Black beans
- Pinto beans
- Kidney beans
- Diced green chiles
- Red enchilada sauce
- Corn tortillas
- Cheddar cheese
- shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, black olives – optional, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Stir together onion, bell pepper, beans, and diced green chiles in a mixing bowl
- Spoon ⅓ cup enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish
- Spread 3 of the corn tortillas over top
- Sprinkle ⅓ of the bean mixture on the tortillas
- Drizzle ⅓ of the remaining enchilada sauce over the beans
- Sprinkle with ⅔ cup cheese
- Repeat layers, leaving off the final cheese layer
- Cover and bake for 35 minutes
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake 10 minutes, until cheese is melted
- Top with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and olives before serving
How Long Is Enchilada Casserole Good For?
Enchilada casserole is good for up to 5 days in the fridge. Make sure to cover it tightly to keep out as much air as possible – I love these glass airtight containers for all our leftovers.
I also don’t recommend adding the toppings if you plan on refrigerating and reheating it – nobody likes microwaved lettuce!
Can You Make Enchilada Casserole Ahead?
You can definitely prep this casserole the night before if you’re going to be short on time. Follow the instruction up until the baking part and cover the casserole tightly with aluminum foil.
When you’re ready to bake, just continue to follow the instructions. You shouldn’t need to add any extra baking time to the dish.
More Meatless Dinner Recipes
- Cheesy Pasta with Roasted Cauliflower
- Thai Mushrooms Lettuce Wraps
- Four Cheese Spaghetti
- Pasta with Broccoli Walnut Pesto
- Butternut Squash and Black Bean Enchiladas
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 small white onion, finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 ¾ cups red enchilada sauce
- 9 corn tortillas, cut into 6 triangles
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, black olives, optional, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with oil.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together onion, bell peppers, beans, and diced green chiles until well combined.
- Spoon ⅓ cup of the enchilada sauce on the bottom of the dish and spread to all the corners. Spread 3 of the corn tortillas over top; followed by ⅓ of the bean mixture. Drizzle ⅓ of the remaining enchilada sauce over the beans and sprinkle with ⅔ cup cheese. Repeat layers, leaving off the final cheese layer.
- Bake, covered, for 35 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese Bake 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Top with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and olives, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 411Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 1113mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 12gSugar: 6gProtein: 23g