Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake – just like the ones you get at the mall!
My sister-in-law turns 17 today and when it came time to make her cake, her mom suggested a cookie cake.
It came with my standard warning, “You know I’m not a cake decorator” but it ended up turning out so cute! And who knew that cookie cakes are so simple!
I used a basic chocolate chip cookie recipe for this, the one from the Nestle Tollhouse chocolate chip bags. I’m not sure if I’ve ever actually made the recipe (as cookies) but I was happy with how it turned out as a cake.
I had worried that the outside would brown a lot faster than the inside but it all seemed pretty even in the end. Just be careful because the cookie does expand – I would suggest using a pan with a higher rim than I did or you could probably refrigerate the dough in the pan for a little while to stop the spreading.
My favorite part of the cake was how easy it was to decorate! A few dots here, a few there, and it almost looked like the cookie cakes you buy at the mall!
I was actually shocked at how much I loved how it looked. And, of course, it was delicious!
How To Make Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt
- In a separate bowl, beat together butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla
- Add eggs to butter mixture
- Slowly add flour mixture to butter mixture
- Stir in chocoalte chips
- Bake in greased pan for 20 – 25 minutes
- Cool completely before frosting
How Long Are Cookie Cakes Good For?
Homemade cookie cakes are good for up to 3 – 4 days. They don’t need to be refrigerated but make sure you cover it tightly to keep it fresh for as long as possible.
More Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipes
- Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Pizookie
- Soft and Chew Chocolate Chip Cookies
- M&Ms Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies
- Oreo Chocolate Chip Cookies
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2 sticks butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups 12-oz. package chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375.
- flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan (or pan of choice). Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 461Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 421mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 2gSugar: 39gProtein: 5g