Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies – the BEST recipe to get soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies! You will never make another chocolate chip cookie recipe.
Originally published February 8, 2012 and updated on January 18, 2020.
This is my alltime favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. It has been my go to for 8 years now – thankfully I documented it on this blog so I know exactly how long I’ve been obsessed!
They are soft and chewy and just the most perfect cookie if you are a soft cookie person like me. And the best part is that they stay soft. They’re not going to dry out and be crispy on day 2 or day 3.
If you want another option for a chewy chocolate chip cookie, my Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies are amazing!
How To Make Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cream together butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar; add egg and vanilla
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt)
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and beat until just combined
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto a prepared baking sheet
- Bake 8 – 10 minutes
- Let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely before serving
What Makes These Cookies Chewy?
It’s a combination of a few different things that keep these cookies chewy.
First, the amount of brown sugar. More brown sugar than granulated sugar will usually give you a softer cookie.
Second, the cornstarch! Most cookies don’t call for cornstarch but the little bit of it in this recipe makes sure your cookies stay soft and chewy.
And finally, don’t overbake them! As soon as you see the edges turning golden, pull them out! If you overbake them, they will dry out and lose their softness.
How Long Are Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies Good For?
These Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies will stay fresh for 3 – 4 days when stored at room temperature in an airtight container. They will likely be safe to eat for a few days after that but may be a little stale or the texture may change.
Can You Freeze Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies?
Yes! You can freeze either the dough or the baked cookie!
To freeze the dough, I like to drop tablespoonfuls of dough onto a baking sheet and put that into the freezer until they are almost frozen, about 30 minutes to an hour.
From there, you can put the dough balls into an airtight container (like a freeze safe ziploc bag) and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
And then you get a craving for a freshly baked chewy chocolate chip cookie, you can pull out 1 or 2 dough balls and bake them as the recipe says but you will probably need to add another couple minutes to the bake time.
To freeze already baked cookie, store them in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Let them defrost overnight at room temperature before serving.
More Cookie Recipes
- Cranberry Orange Cookies
- Italian Sugar Cookies
- Chewy Monster Cookies
- Reese’s Pieces Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter Krispie Cookies
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- ¾ c. unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or with a hand mixer), cream together butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and mix.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and beat until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips using a rubber spatula.
- Drop dough, using a tablespoon, onto a prepared baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes, just until the edges start to brown. The insides will not brown.
- Transfer the sheet to a wire rack and let cool for about 5 minutes before removing from pan.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 106Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 69mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 0gSugar: 8gProtein: 1g