Chocolate Loaf Cake is the richest, most delicious chocolate loaf cake! Topped with chocolate ganache and chocolate chips. A must make for chocolate lovers!
I definitely don’t consider myself a chocolate lover. I will choose pretty much anything over chocolate. Vanilla, fruit flavored, anything but chocolate.
But once or twice a year all I can think about is a rich homemade chocolate cake covered in chocolate ganache.
And this is the cake I make when I’m in that mood.
Why You Should Make Chocolate Loaf Cake
- It’s moist, rich, and so delicious! If you love chocolate on top of chocolate with more chocolate, you must make it!
- Loaf cakes are so much easier than regular cakes! Need a sweet treat that you can throw together in no time? Go for a loaf cake! No fussing with layers or any of that.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Cocoa powder – I used Hershey’s Natural Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Instant espresso powder – this brings a richness to the chocolate. You can substitute instant coffee if that’s what you have
- Canola or vegetable oil
- Granulated sugar
- Eggs – make sure they are at room temperature to get the best results
- Vanilla extract
- Milk – I used 2% for this recipe but whole milk will work as well
- Semi-sweet chocolate bar – you are going to cut this into chunks and melt it for the ganache. I used Baker’s semisweet baking chocolate bar for this recipe.
- Heavy whipping cream – the heavy cream is what makes the ganache so rich and delicious
- Semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips – these are for sprinkling on top
How To Make Chocolate Loaf Cake
- Prepare. Preheat the oven to 350° and grease a loaf pan.
- Mix dry ingredients. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder, and instant espresso powder in a small or medium bowl and whisk.
- Mix wet ingredients. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the oil and sugar.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add the eggs and vanilla extract, and continue whisking until the eggs have been beaten.
- Combine all ingredients. Mix in the milk and dry ingredients with a wooden spoon or spatula until just combined.
- Transfer to pan. Pour the cake batter into the greased pan, and bake for 45-50 minutes. Cool until set.
How To Make Chocolate Ganache
- Prepare. Pour the chopped chocolate bar into a small, heat-proof bowl.
- Heat cream. Heat the heavy whipping cream in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until the cream starts to sizzle around the edges of the pan.
- Pour over chocolate. Remove the cream from the heat, and pour over the chopped chocolate. Let the mixture rest for 2-3 minutes, then stir with a small spoon or spatula until smooth.
- Glaze and sprinkle. Pour the chocolate ganache on top of the cake. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
How Long Is It Good For?
This chocolate cake will be good at room temperature for up to 3 days. If you store it in the fridge, it will be good for up to 7 days. I would bring it to room temperature before serving.
Make sure to keep it in an airtight container.
Can You Freeze It?
You can freeze this chocolate loaf cake for up to 3 months. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and then place in an airtight freezer bag.
Let defrost at room temperature before serving.
More Chocolate Cake Recipes
- Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream
- Chocolate Cream-Filled Cake
- Snickers Cake
- German Chocolate Cake
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For the cake
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- ½ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
For the chocolate ganache
- 1 (4-ounce) semi-sweet chocolate bar, chopped
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350° and grease an 8.5x4 or 9x5 loaf pan with shortening or butter. Set aside.
- Start by making the cake. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder, and instant espresso powder in a small or medium bowl and whisk.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the oil and sugar.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract, and continue whisking until the eggs have been beaten.
- Mix in the milk and dry ingredients with a wooden spoon or spatula until just combined. Some small lumps of flour are fine, you don’t want to over-mix the batter.
- Pour the cake batter into the greased pan, and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the center of the cake is set and a small knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Set on a cooling rack to rest.
- While the cake is resting, make the chocolate ganache topping. Pour the chopped chocolate bar into a small, heat-proof bowl.
- Heat the heavy whipping cream in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until the cream starts to sizzle around the edges of the pan. Do not let the cream boil.
- Remove the cream from the heat, and pour over the chopped chocolate. Let the mixture rest for 2-3 minutes, then stir with a small spoon or spatula until smooth.
- Transfer the cake to a platter or plate, and pour the chocolate ganache on top. Sprinkle with chocolate chips, and slice into 8 pieces. Serve with the extra chocolate ganache.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 439Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 381mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 2gSugar: 30gProtein: 6g