Funfetti Cake is the perfect birthday cake! Layers of moist vanilla cake filled with rainbow sprinkles. It gets filled and frosted with a delicious vanilla buttercream and topped with more sprinkles.
This is my most favorite cake ever! I make it every year for my birthday and this year I made something else and instantly regretted that decision. So, of course, I had to make it a few weeks after my birthday and share it with y’all.
This is a homemade version of Funfetti Cake so this is 4 layers of vanilla cake with rainbow sprinkles, filled and frosted with homemade vanilla buttercream. And then you put sprinkles all over the cake!
It’s so fun and so delicious. I’m definitely going back to using this as my birthday cake!
Why You’re Going To Love This Recipe
- Funfetti is the most fun cake you can have! I’ve never met anyone who isn’t immediately happy when they see a slice of cake full of rainbow sprinkles.
- The ingredients are all very simple. It’s all pantry and fridge staples outside of the rainbow sprinkles.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Unsalted butter – butter is going in the cake and the buttercream. Make sure your butter is at room temperature before beginning the recipe.
- Vegetable oil
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract – this is going in the cake and the frosting. You can use a clear vanilla if you don’t want to tint the frosting but it’s not necessary.
- Rainbow sprinkles – you have to have rainbow sprinkles in funfetti cake! Some are going in the cake and then you’ll need more if you want to decorate with them.
- Powdered sugar – for the frosting.
How To Make Funfetti Cake
- Prepare. Prepare 4 8-inch round cake pans by lining with parchment or buttering.
- Combine dry ingredients. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Combine wet ingredients. Beat the butter, oil, and sugar until smooth and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla extract, mix until combined.
- Combine. Add the dry mixture, alternating with the milk until completely combined.
- Add sprinkles. Fold in the rainbow sprinkles.
- Transfer to pans. Divide the batter evenly into the 4 cake pans.
- Bake. Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool. Cool the cakes completely before frosting.
How To Make Vanilla Buttercream
- Cream butter. Beat the softened butter and vanilla until smooth and creamy.
- Add powdered sugar. Gradually add the powdered sugar until completely combined.
Assemble the Funfetti Layer Cake
- Level the cakes. Level the cakes using a large serrated knife to create a flat surface.
- Stack cakes. Stack the cakes with a layer of buttercream between each cake layer.
- Crumb coat. Spread a thin even layer of buttercream on top of and around the cake to create a crumb coat.
- Chill. Place in the freezer for at least 15 minutes to set the crumb coat.
- Finish frosting. Frost the entire cake with the remaining buttercream and garnish with extra sprinkles.
How Long Is It Good For?
Funfetti cake is good for up to 3 – 4 days at room temperature. Make sure to cover it well or store it in an airtight container.
You can prolong the life of the cake to up to 6 – 7 days if you store it in the fridge but the fridge will cause it to dry out. Store it in an airtight container.
Can You Freeze It?
You can freeze the unfrosted layers of the cake for up to 3 months. I suggest wrapping them tightly in plastic wrap and then placing them in freezer ziploc bags or another airtight container.
When you are ready to frost them, let them sit at room temperature for several hours.
If you want to freeze the already frosted cake, I recommend doing it in slices. Freeze them on a sheet pan until the frosting is frozen and then you can wrap the individual slices in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer ziploc bag.
Let the slices sit at room temperature for a couple hours before serving.
More Cake Recipes
- Margarita Bundt Cake
- Strawberry Cheesecake Poke Cake
- Pumpkin Crunch Cake
- Chocolate Loaf Cake
- German Chocolate Cake
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For the cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- ⅔ cup rainbow sprinkles
For the Vanilla Buttercream
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Additional rainbow sprinkles for garnish
- To make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350° F. Prepare 4, 8-inch round cake pans with parchment paper circles, grease the cake pans and parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, beat the butter, oil, and sugar until smooth and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract, mix until combined.
- Add the dry mixture, alternating with the milk until completely combined.
- Fold in the rainbow sprinkles.
- Divide the batter evenly into the 4 cake pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
- Allow the cakes to completely cool while making the buttercream.
- For the buttercream: In a large mixing bowl, beat the softened butter and vanilla until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar until completely combined.
- To assemble, level the cakes using a large serrated knife to create a flat surface.
- Stack the cakes with a layer of buttercream between each cake layer. With a large icing spatula, spread a thin even layer of buttercream on top of and around the cake to create a crumb coat. Place in the freezer for at least 15 minutes to set the crumb coat.
- Frost the entire cake with the remaining buttercream and garnish with extra sprinkles.
- Slice, and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 695Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 133mgSodium: 202mgCarbohydrates: 76gFiber: 1gSugar: 54gProtein: 5g