King Cake Bread Pudding – cubed king cake baked in a sweet custard and topped with vanilla ice cream. Perfect for Mardi Gras!
BF was standing over my shoulder while I was editing these pictures (because I move a stool to the kitchen island for computer work, instead of, you know, sitting at a desk) and I asked him if the melted green sprinkles right in the front of the photo looked unappetizing.
He said he didn’t even notice it until I mentioned it which means you probably didn’t either but now it’s all you’ll be able to see when you look at that picture.
Because my King Cake Bread Pudding is oozing green stuff.
And then there’s that creepy gold baby that I’ve somehow kept track of since we lived in Alabama. And we left Alabama in 2011.
I’m a big fan of throwing out everything I own a couple times a year but somehow this creepy gold baby keeps making the cut.
If you love King Cake as much as I do, you have to make my King Cake Ice Cream, too!
What Is a King Cake?
It’s a Mardi Gras cake!
It’s a yeast dough filled with cinnamon (or sometimes cream cheese) and then it’s roll up and formed into a large oval. Once it’s baked, it’s frosted and covered in purple, yellow, and green sprinkles.
That’s where the green ooze came from.
Think of it like a giant cinnamon roll. But better, because sprinkles. And everything is better during Mardi Gras season.
Ingredients for King Cake Bread Pudding
- King Cake
- Heavy whipping cream
- Whole milk
- Vanilla ice cream
- Dice king cake and place it in a baking dish
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, heavy cream, milk, and vanilla
- Pour egg mixture over diced king cake and gently press the king cake down so it’s completely covered
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes; cover with aluminum foil and bake another 15 – 20 minutes, until custard is set
- Serve hot with vanilla ice cream on top
Why Is There a Baby in King Cake?
Whoever finds the baby gets good luck but also has to buy next year’s king cake!
Just pop a baby on top of everyone’s bread pudding for a super cute way to serve it.
More Mardi Gras Recipes
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest for even more!
King Cake Bread Pudding
- 8 cups king cake, diced
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 2 quart baking dish with oil.
- Put diced king cake in the prepared dish, making sure the surface is covered.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, heavy whipping cream, milk, and vanilla until well combined. Pour this mixture over the diced king cake and use a spatula to gently press the king cake down so everything is covered.
- Bake for 30 minutes; cover with aluminum foil and bake another 15 - 20 minutes, or until the custard is set.
- Serve hot with vanilla ice cream on top.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 587Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 121mgSodium: 409mgCarbohydrates: 86gFiber: 3gSugar: 40gProtein: 12g
Leave a Reply