Strawberries are one of those things that I have a real love/hate relationship with. I love them because they are delicious but I hate them because Â it seems like the day after I buy them, I find a moldy one down at the bottom of the container. I, of course, go nuts thinking WHAT IF THAT STRAWBERRY TOUCHED ALL THE OTHERS?! and end up throwing the whole thing out.
That happened last week.
This week I bought more strawberries. A lot of strawberries.
Whenever I overbuy strawberries, I start thinking about pound cakes or angel food cakes or anything that I could turn into strawberry shortcake. Because why eat plain strawberries when you can put them on cake and top them with whipped cream?!
This Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake was perfect for a shortcake-like dessert. Lemon and strawberry is an amazing combination and the poppy seeds added a fun texture with just a bit of nuttiness. I expected my kids to turn their noses up to it when they saw the “black spots” but they loved it!
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ⅔ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup low-fat buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Coat an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray; dust with 1 teaspoon flour. Set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with a mixer until well-blended (about 4 minutes). Add egg whites and egg, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon rind and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine 1 ⅔ cups flour and next 4 ingredients (flour through salt), stirring well with a whisk. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 198Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 173mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 4g