Soft Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies with a sweet and tart glaze are going to be your favorite cookie for spring and summer.
Lemon flavor everything is my absolute favorite this time of year. Cakes, scones, cookies, all of it!
These Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies are soft and tender lemon cookies with poppy seeds throughout the cookie. And then they are topped with an easy 2-ingredient glaze that’s sweet and tart and goes perfect with the soft cookies.
You are going to love these cookies!
Ingredients for Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies
- Unsalted butter – if you have salted butter on hand, just decrease the amount of salt you add.
- Granulated sugar
- Sour cream – you can use an equal amount of plain Greek yogurt if you prefer.
- Lemon juice – I recommend fresh lemon juice, especially since you will also be zesting lemons.
- Lemon zest – use a zester to remove the rind of the lemons. Make sure you don’t get any of the white part of the rind or it may taste bitter.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder – this is your leavening agent and will make the cookies light and fluffy.
- Poppy seeds
- Preapre. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, poppyseeds, and salt.
- Combine wet ingredients. Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in egg.
- Make sour cream mixture. In another bowl, stir together sour cream, honey, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Combine all ingredients. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternating with sour cream mixture, beating between each addition.
- Transfer to baking sheet. Drop cookies by tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake. Bake 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Let cool for a couple minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Glaze for Lemon Cookies
To make the glaze for these lemon poppy seed cookies, whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice until no lumps remain.
Once the cookies are cool, dip each cookie in glaze and place back on the wire rack. Sprinkle with more lemon zest.
How Long Are They Good For?
Lemon cookies are good for up to 1 week at room temperature. Make sure to store them in an airtight container to keep them fresh for as long as possible.
Can You Freeze Lemon Cookies?
You can freeze these cookies for up to 3 months. Make sure they are completely cooled and the glaze has fully set.
I recommend wrapping them tightly with plastic wrap and then placing them in ziploc freezer bags.
When you are ready to serve them, let them sit at room temperture for several hours until defrosted.
More Cookie Recipes
- Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
- Butterscotch Pudding Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Pizookie
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Thumbprints
- Homemade Fudge Rounds
- Coconut Macaroons
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For the cookies:
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup honey
- 2 ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup poppy seeds
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, poppyseeds, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in egg.
- In another bowl, stir together sour cream, honey, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternating with sour cream mixture, beating between each addition.
- Drop cookies by tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool for a couple minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before glazing.
- Make glaze by whisking together icing sugar and lemon juice until no lumps remain.
- Dip cooled cookies into glaze. Sprinkle with lemon zest. Repeat until all cookies are glazed.
- Let set before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 96Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 32mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 1g