I am forever on a search for inexpensive, quick dinner ideas. A lot of times I feel like I’ve used every idea out there and I just give up and make a casserole that I know we like. I do have an ever-growing list of meals that I want to try but haven’t been able to find the perfect recipe. Lettuce wraps have been on the list for as long as I’ve been cooking, I think. Most of the recipes I came across called for weird ingredients: apples, bean sprouts, things that I wouldn’t touch.
I was so excited to find this recipe because it’s all basic things that I’ll actually eat. I mean, the water chestnuts were iffy but I figured if they were small enough, I wouldn’t have a problem with them.
These lettuce wraps for a-mazing. Everything works awesomely together and the crunch from the water chestnuts is actually enjoyable! The cilantro and green onions add amazing flavor and even my husband, who hates anything with herbs in it, loved these so much that he’s offered to go to the store to buy more turkey so I can make another batch. I had originally planned on skipping the dipping sauce but it’s a must. Delicious!
from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 ½ pounds ground turkey
- 1 cup minced mushrooms ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 8 ounce can water chestnuts, minced
- ½ cup minced green onions
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 lemon (zested and then juiced.)
- sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
For the dipping sauce:
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ⅛ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot add minced garlic and ginger. Saute for a minute just until fragrant and then add in the ground chicken, minced mushrooms, and salt. Cook until turkey or chicken is cooked through.
- Add in the water chestnuts and green onions. Cook for a few minutes until onions start to wilt. Add in the soy sauce, sesame oil, juice and zest from the lemon, and crushed red pepper. When everything is cooked through, remove from heat and stir in the cilantro.
- To serve, carefully separate the whole leaves from the lettuce. Wash the lettuce leaves and wrap them in paper towels and put them in the refrigerator so they are cold and crisp when serving. Spoon chicken filling onto the lettuce leaf and then roll it up and serve with dipping sauce below- or any other favorite Asian dipping sauce.
To make the dipping sauce:
- Combine all ingredients and serve with lettuce wraps.