Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps – delicious healthy dinner recipe! Lettuce Wraps filled with chicken and veggies in a savory sauce and topped with crunchy cashews.
This post originally published in 2013. Updated on January 3, 2018 because the photos made me want to cry.
Cashew chicken used to be my faaaaavorite Chinese takeout order when we were in Colorado. The place by our house did it so well and then we moved to Texas and I can’t find good cashew chicken to save my life. So I switched my order to Mu Shu Pork but anyway.
That’s not what this post is about.
I’ve been making these Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps for years. They are my go to healthy meal prep because they’re so easy and so delicious.
- Soy sauce
- Hoisin sauce
- Seasoned rice vinegar
- Fresh ginger
- Sesame oil
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Olive oil
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs – you can use chicken breasts if you prefer
- Salt and pepper
- White onion
- Green bell pepper
- Water chestnuts
- Green onions
- Lettuce – any variety you like! I prefer boston bibb or butter lettuce for lettuce wraps
How To Make Cashew Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Make sauce. Whisk together soy sauce, hoisin sauce, seasoned rice vinegar, honey, minced garlic, minced fresh ginger, sesame oil, and crushed red pepper flakes
- Cook chicken. Stir fry diced chicken in olive oil until cooked through.
- Add vegetables. Add diced onion and green bell pepper
- Combine everything. Add water chestnuts, sauce, and cashews
- Simmer. Cover skillet and simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes until sauce has thickened slightly
- Serve. Spoon chicken into lettuce leaves and sprinkle with green onions and more cashews
How Long Is Cashew Chicken Good For?
The cashew chicken mixture will stay good in the fridge for up to 3 – 4 days. Make sure to store it in an airtight container to keep it fresh.
Keep your lettuce separate from the chicken mixture so it stays nice and crisp. Don’t try to assemble the lettuce wraps ahead of time.
More Chinese Takeout Recipes
- Sesame Chicken
- Instant Pot Orange Chicken
- Honey Chicken
- Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Chinese String Beans and Pork
- Orange Beef and Broccoli
- Black Pepper Chicken
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For the sauce:
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
For the wraps:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, diced
- salt and pepper
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup water chestnuts, diced
- ½ cup cashews, plus more for serving
- green onions, diced
- lettuce, separated and hard stems removed
For the sauce:
- Whisk all ingredients until combined. Set aside.
For the chicken:
- Heat coconut oil in pan over medium heat. Season diced chicken with salt and pepper. Add to hot pan and stir fry until browned. Add onions and green pepper and cook until the onion is translucent and the chicken is cooked through. Add water chesnuts, sauce, and cashews. Cover and let simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes until sauce has reduced and cashews have softened slightly.
- To serve, spoon chicken mixture into lettuce leaves and sprinkle with green onions and more cashews.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 449Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 138mgSodium: 1037mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 17gProtein: 32g