The best weekend breakfast! Orange Sweet Rolls are yeast rolls filled with cream cheese, orange marmalade, and pecans and topped with an orange glaze.
Last minute Easter breakfast idea for you!
These rolls are so amazing. Sweet dough with cream cheese, orange marmalade, and pecans on the inside, all topped with a glaze made from freshly squeezed orange juice. Seriously though, I skipped dinner last night so I could have a second one of these. That good.
If you wanted to make this ahead of time, make the dough the night before, shape them into rolls, let them rise once, and then stick them in the fridge overnight. Pull them out about an hour before you want to bake them to take the chill off – they will have deflated overnight but should start to rise once you pull them out of the fridge. Bake them according to the recipe once they’ve risen. Easy peasy.
- Active dry yeast – make sure it’s active dry yeast and not instant.
- Sugar – this is going in the dough and the cream cheese filling.
- Butter – this make the yeast dough rich and delicious.
- Fresh oranges – you are going to use the zest and the juice from the oranges.
- All-purpose flour
- Cream cheese – this is used in the filling and creates a cheesecake-y like taste.
- Orange marmalade – you can find this in the jam/jelly section of your grocery store.
- Powdered sugar – this gets mixed with fresh orange juice to create the glaze that goes on top of the rolls.
How To Make Orange Rolls
- Make filling. Use an electric mixture to combine cream cheese, orange marmalade, sugar, and pecans. Set aside.
- Activate dough. Put yeast and milk in a large mixing bowl. Let sit about 5 minutes, until the yeast has dissolved and is slightly foamy.
- Add remaining ingredients. Beat in sugar, melted butter, orange zest, orange juice, eggs and salt at medium-low speed with a mixer until combined. Gradually add flour, beating until a soft dough forms.
- Knead. Turn dough out on a lightly floured surface. Knead dough for 6-8 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Rise. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place, for 1 hour or until dough is doubled in size.
- Make rolls. Roll out dough into a 24×12 inch rectangle. Spread orange-cream cheese filling over dough.. Roll up dough and cut into 1″ sections. Place rolls onto greased pan.
- Rise. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled.
- Bake. Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Make glaze. Whisk together powdered sugar and orange juice.
- Glaze rolls. Drizzle glaze over warm rolls when they are done baking.
These rolls will be good for up to 3 days. Make sure to cover them tightly and store them in the fridge.
When you are ready to serve them, warm them up slightly in the microwave.
You can freeze orange rolls for up to 3 months. I recommend wrapping them individually in plastic wrap and then placing them in freeze ziploc bags.
Let them defrost in the frige overnight. When you are ready to serve them, warm the up slightly in the microwave.
More Yeast Breakfast Ideas
- Yeast Waffles
- Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls
- Maple Twists
- Brown Butter Yeast Waffle
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For the dough:
- 2 ¼ ounce packages active dry yeast
- 1½ cup warm milk
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8-9 cups all-purpose flour
For the filling:
- 1 8 ounce block cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup chopped pecans
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
To make the dough:
- Put yeast and milk in a large mixing bowl. Let side about In a large 5 minutes, until the yeast has dissolved and is slightly foamy. Beat in sugar, melted butter, orange zest, orange juice, eggs and salt at medium-low speed with a mixer until combined. Gradually add 7 cups flour, beating until smooth. Add enough of remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out on a lightly floured surface. Knead dough for 6-8 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place, for 1 hour or until dough is doubled in size.
- Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a 24x12 inch rectangle. Spread orange-cream cheese filling (instructions below) evenly over dough, leaving a ½ inch border. Roll up dough, jelly-roll fashion, starting with long side. Using a serrated knife, cut dough crosswise into 1 inch slices. Place rolls, cut side down, in prepared pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Spoon orange glaze over warm rolls.
To make the filling:
- Use an electric mixture to combine cream cheese, orange marmalade, sugar, and pecans.
To make the glaze:
- In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and orange juice until smooth.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 48 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 778Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 96mgCarbohydrates: 153gFiber: 6gSugar: 9gProtein: 21g