Caramel-Filled Brownies – rich chocolate brownied filled with a layer of caramel and topped with pecans and chocolate chips! These are a must make for caramel lovers!
Originally published April 17, 2011. Updated August 21, 2020.
Years ago, when this post was first published and this blog was just a fun little hobby for me, I was in a group of bloggers that baked and cooked our way through the Project Pastry Queen cookbook. These Caramel-Filled Brownies were one of my favorite recipes from that book!
I mean, can you really go wrong with dark chocolate brownies with a layer of caramel in the middle and nuts and more chocolate on top?!
- Bittersweet chocolate
- Baking Soda
- Heavy Cream
- Semisweet chocolate chips
- Toast pecans
- Melt butter and bittersweet chocolate together
- Beat together butter mixture, sugar, eggs, and vanilla
- Add flour, baking soda, and salt
- Transfer half of the batter to a 9×13-inch pan
- Bake for 20 minutes; let cool
- Melt the caramels and heavy cream together
- Pour over cooled brownies
- Top with remaining brownie batter
- Bake 20 minutes
- Cool completely before slicing and serving
How Long Are Brownies Good For?
Store these brownies in an airtight container for up to 1 week at room temperature.
If you want to freeze them, wrap them individually in clear plastic wrap and then put all of them in a freezer ziploc bag, making sure to squeeze out as much air as possible. They will be fine in the freezer for up to 1 month.
More Brownies Recipes
- Classic Brownies
- Cosmic Brownies (Little Debbie copycat)
- Mississippi Mud Brownies
- Candy Bar Brownies
- Red Velvet Brownies
- Peanut Butter Cup Brownies
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 ½ c. pecans
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 14 ounces caramel candies, unwrapped
- ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Arrange the pecans on a baking sheet in a single layer and toast for 7 to 9 minutes, until golden brown and aromatic. Coarsely chop the nuts.
2. Line a 9" x 13" baking pan with aluminum foil, leaving several inches hanging over the short ends of the pan. Grease the foil with butter or cooking spray. Be sure to grease the sides of the foil-covered pan thoroughly, or the caramel layer in the middle of the brownies with stick.
3. Combine the butter and chocolate in a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan set over low heat, stirring occasionally until melted and smooth.
4. Transfer the chocolate mixture to a large bowl. Add the sugar, eggs, and vanilla mixing until thick and glossy. This will take 1 to 2 minutes of vigorous mixing with a wire whisk or about 1 minute using a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment set on medium-high speed.
5. Whisk or stir in the flour and salt.4) Transfer half the batter to the baking pan and spread evenly.
6. Bake for 20 minutes. Let the brownies cool about 20 minutes.
7. Stir the caramels and cream in a heavy medium saucepan over low heat until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and stir in half the pecans. Immediately spread the caramel mixture over the brownies.
8. Pour the remaining brownie batter evenly over the caramel mixture and spread gently to cover (do not pour it in a clump, or it will be difficult to spread over the hot caramel without mixing up the layers).
9. Sprinkle the chocolate chips and remaining pecans on top of the brownie layer.
10. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool the brownies completely in the pan.
11. Grab the foil edges and lift the brownies out of the pan. Cut them into squares.
If individually wrapped in plastic wrap, the brownies will keep for 1 week at room temperature or for 1 month in the freezer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 308Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 126mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 4gSugar: 27gProtein: 5g