Homemade Cosmic Brownies – Little Debbie copycat recipe! Fudgy brownies topped with rich chocolate ganache and sprinkles.
So we’re moving.
Did I tell you that?
Not just moving houses – moving across the country. Like, soon.
And I have this huge problem. Chocolate. I have so much stinkin’ chocolate in my cabinets right now and chocolate won’t be making the cut for what’s traveling with us.
So what’s a girl to do? Make brownies. Then eat those brownies so she has to make more. Because there’s still more chocolate that has to be used!
These brownies are supposed to be like the Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies, which, if you’ve never had them, are amazing.
They’re so much more dense than any other brownie and then they’re covered in a rich ganache before being topped with little candy pieces. This recipe is so close to the original!
But I do recommend actual candy pieces (even something like m&ms) because the sprinkles, while super cute, just didn’t give that crunch that the original has.
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Unsweetened cocoa
- Baking powder
- Heavy cream
- Bittersweet chocolate
- Colorful candies or sprinkles – I recommend these candy coated pieces that are used in the Little Debbie version
How To Make Cosmic Brownies
- Beat butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar together; add eggs and vanilla
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt)
- Combine wet ingredients and dry ingredients
- Pour into a 9×13-inch pan
- Bake about 18 minutes
- Make the ganache by melting bittersweet chocolate with heavy cream
- Pour the ganache over mostly cooled brownies; top with sprinkles
- Chill until ganache is set; slice and serve
How Long Are Cosmic Brownies Good For?
Typically brownies are good for up to 4 days. These Cosmic Brownies need to be stored in the refrigerator (because of the ganache) – make sure to store them in an airtight container.
Can You Freeze Them?
You can freeze these brownies for up to 3 months. I recommend wrapping them individually in plastic wrap and then putting them in freezer ziploc bags.
When you are ready to enjoy them, let them defrost for a couple hours at room temperature.
- Classic Brownies
- Nutella Brownies
- Peanut Butter Pretzel Brownies
- Cadbury Mini Egg Brownies
- Rocky Road Brownies
- Mississippi Mud Brownies
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For the brownies:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup 1 ½ sticks butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the ganache:
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 7 ounce bittersweet chocolate
- pinch of salt
- colorful candies or sprinkles, for decorating
- Heat oven to 350F. Line a 13 x 9 pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil, then lightly grease. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugars, butter and water with a whisk. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Stir the dry mix into the wet stuff and stir to combine. With a rubber spatula, spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 18 minutes. Donâ€™t over bake!
- Set aside on a rack to cool.
- While the brownies are baking, prepare the ganache: Place the chocolate in a bowl and set aside. In a small saucepan, heat the cream just to a simmer. Donâ€™t boil it, just wait till you see little bubbles starting to form around the edges. Remove from the heat and pour over the chocolate. Sprinkle with the salt and let it all sit for a minute or so. Gently stir with a rubber spatula until all of the chocolate is melted. Whisking the heck out of it will just add air bubbles and we donâ€™t want those. Set that aside to cool a bit.
- When the brownies are mostly cool, pour the ganache over and spread it evenly over the top. Sprinkle as many or as few of the candies/sprinkles over the top as you like. I cooled mine in the fridge until the ganache was set. When youâ€™re ready to cut them into squares, lift them out with the foil and cut into the size or shape you like.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 260Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 113mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 17gProtein: 4g