Mississippi Mud Brownies – the richest, most delicious brownies ever! A layer of brownies topped with layers of peanut butter, marshmallows, and toasted pecans. Then they get topped with a thick layer of chocolate frosting.
I didn’t plan on sharing these Mississippi Mud Brownies with y’all.
I was so disappointed with how they looked when they came out of the oven and even more disappointed with my photos.
But then the other night I had a Lean Cuisine for dinner and then chased it with 3 of these and decided that ehh, they might be hideous but they were way too good to not share!
How To Make Mississippi Mud Brownies
There are a take on the classic Mississippi Mud Pie which is typically a a chocolate cookie crust with a rich cake baked into it. Then it gets chocolate pudding on top of the cake and finally, a layer of freshly whipped cream and some chopped pecans.
For theese Mississippi Mud Brownies, you make a fairly standard brownie recipe but then you cover them with peanut butter, marshmallows, pecans, and a deliciously rich chocolate frosting.
All my favorites.
Which means these regular brownies become magical brownies and before you know it, you’ll have eaten 3 of them while staring out your kitchen window at absolutely nothing. They are just so rich and delicious!
These are so quick and such an easy way to jazz up the regular brownie. You could even start with a brownie mix which is probably what I’ll do next time just to make it even easier.
And yeah, I will definitely be making these again. And again and again!
More Brownie Recipes
Nutella Brownies – rich and delicious fudgy brownies with chopped hazelnuts and a thick layer of Nutella frosting! You have to make these for the Nutella lover in your life!
Peanut Butter Pretzel Brownies – perfect for all of your sweet and salty cravings! Rich brownies with crunchy peanut butter and chopped pretzels on top. I love all the different textures in these brownies – the super soft brownie paired with all the crunch from the peanut butter and the pretzels is everything I want in a dessert.
Peppermint Pattie Brownies – just like the nostalgic peppermint pattie candies! Brownies with a layer of peppermint cream and topped with chocolate ganache.
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, 1 stick, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cups peanut butter
- 1 ½ teaspoon canola oil
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- ½ cups pecans, chopped and toasted
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
For the frosting:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8x8-inch baking pan with parchment paper or foil. Spray it with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, and ½ teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together ½ cup butter, sugar, and ¾ teaspoons vanilla until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing sure each is fully incorporated. Mix dry ingredients into batter just until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake in preheated oven for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- When brownies are done baking, combine peanut butter and oil in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 20 seconds to soften. Pour over hot brownie and spread it to the sides. Sprinkle with marshmallows. Return to oven to bake for 3 more minutes, or until the marshmallows puff. Remove from oven and top with toasted pecans.
- To make frosting, combine confectioners sugar and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. When butter is melted, add the 2 Tablespoons of cocoa powder and ¼ cup of the milk and heat until the mixture just comes to boil. Pour this mixture into confectioners sugar/salt mixture and beat on moderately high speed until smooth and glossy. If frosting is not pourable at this point, add remaining 2 tablespoons of milk Lastly, beat in ¼ teaspoon vanilla, then pour evenly over puffed marshmallows and pecans.
- Let cool completely before cutting into squares.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 348Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 46mgSodium: 160mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 2gSugar: 35gProtein: 4g