A classic holiday cookie! Snickerdoodles are soft and chewy cookies rolled in cinnamon sugar before baking. Add them to your cookie tins this holiday season!
I also have a Gluten Free Snickerdoodles recipe if Santa is gluten free in your house!
Originally published December 16, 2009. Updated November 29, 2021.
Snickerdoodles are the quintessential holiday cookie in my mind. They were always on Santa’s plate of cookies when I was growing up and now I make them for my own kids to leave for Santa.
Snickerdoodles are similar to a sugar cookie but with a delicious chewiness. And they’re rolled in cinnamon roll before baking to make them even more delicious!
- Cream of tartar – this adds the tang and chewiness that snickerdoodles are famous for
- Baking soda
- Prepare. Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine wet ingredients. Beat butter, 1 ½ cups sugar and eggs thoroughly in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Combine dry ingredients. In a separate bowl combine flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
- Combine wet and dry mixtures. Add flour mixture to butter mixture and still until just combined.
- Chill. Refrigerate dough for about 10-15 minutes.
- Make cinnamon sugar. Meanwhile, mix 3 tablespoons sugar, and 3 teaspoons cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Shape dough and coat. Roll dough into 1 inch balls and then roll in cinnamon mixture. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake. Bake 10 – 12 minutes or until lightly golden.
How Long Are They Good For?
Snickerdoodles are best within the first 5 days of making them. Make sure to store them at room temperature in an airtight container.
Can You Freeze Them?
You can freeze Snickerdoodles for up to 3 months. I recommend wrapping them tightly in plastic wrap and then placing in freezer ziploc bags.
When you are ready to serve them, just let them sit at room temperature until thawed.
More Cookie Recipes
- Butterscotch Pudding Cookies
- Italian Sugar Cookies
- Peanut Butter Krispie Cookies
- Chewy Monster Cookies
- Pistachio Thumbprint Cookies
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest for even more!
- 1 cup butter
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Beat butter, 1 ½ cups sugar and eggs thoroughly in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture and still until just combined.
- Chill dough for about 10-15 minutes in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, mix 3 tablespoons sugar, and 3 teaspoons cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls and then roll in cinnamon mixture. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 - 12 minutes or until lightly golden.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 124Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 95mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 0gSugar: 9gProtein: 1g
Excellent, excellent cookies!!! Made them last night! Easy and yummy! Your website is awesome! Thanks!
masterful execution of the world’s finest cookie. the end. :)
These look great! I need a simple recipe for this weeks cookie exchange.