It’s no secret that I love easy and fun pasta dishes so it’s about time I add another one to the ol’ blog. I already have a recipe for what I call taco pasta but this one is slightly different. This one includes a delicious cheesy sauce that makes it more like macaroni & cheese. Yum!
I had worried this would be too spicy since it calls for taco seasoning and Rotel tomatoes but both of my boys gobbled it up without a problem. My oldest has already staked claim on the leftovers.
I hate cooking pasta in a dish, you know what I mean? Like, the pasta is cooked in the Rotel and with the ground turkey in this one and I always – and I mean always – end up with burnt pasta stuck to the bottom of my pan when I do this. So I would recommend watching it closely and not being scared to add more liquid if it gets low. Or if you don’t mind washing an extra dish, boil your pasta separately.
Also, if you’re looking to stretch this one, you could easily add another cup of macaroni. This was a lot of meat for only 1 cup of pasta and I would definitely add another cup next time I make it. Which will be very soon!
Taco Pasta, Take 2
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes and green chilies
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup small pasta (macaroni, shells, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Brown ground turkey in a large pan over medium heat; drain if necessary. Stir in taco seasoning, Rotel, water, and macaroni. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and cover pan. Simmer 12-14 minutes until macaroni is tender.
- While pasta is cooking, make the cheese sauce: melt the butter in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook, whisking for 5 minutes until fragrant and light brown in color. Whisk in the milk and bring to a boil. Whisk until smooth and thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the shredded cheddar cheese until melted. Add the salt and pepper to the cheese sauce. Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta mixture. Stir gently to combine.