Meatballs are one of the few things all 3 of my kids will eat without complaint. And this recipe is proof that I can literally put anything in meatballs and they will eat them.
As I was shredded the zucchini for these, my 4 year old walked into the kitchen and said “Eww, I don’t like zucchini!”
Umm… guess who asked for more meatballs not once but twice!
If we’re being technical here, these aren’t really Thai meatballs. Honestly, I’m not even sure Thai meatballs are a thing. I think Thai-Inspired would be a better title but…
So these are pork meatballs with a little ground turkey which I love because I love love love the flavor of pork but not necessarily the fat/calories so I feel like I can eat more if I mix in some super lean ground turkey. The meatballs have lots of shredded zucchini and carrots mixed in with some curry powder, fresh ginger, garlic, all kinds of good stuff. And then you cover them with a peanut sauce before baking!
Except I don’t eat peanut butter because I do try to eat paleo when I’m not drinking wine and eating my weight in Qdoba 3-cheese nachos so I used almond butter in this “peanut” sauce. You could totally use peanut or even sunbutter if you prefer the taste of those!
Anyway, the sauce is SO good. I could drink it! Coconut milk, almond butter, and curry powder just make the yummiest combination.
These are super simple and I anticipate making these often in the coming months.
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
For the meatballs:
- 1 small zucchini, shredded
- 2 small carrots, shredded
- 1 pound ground pork
- ½ pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the sauce:
- 1 14 ounce can of coconut milk
- ¼ cup almond butter
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, or coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- pinch of salt
- chopped green onions
- chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Put shredded zucchini in a fine mesh strainer over a bowl. Press with the bag of a wooden spoon to remove all liquid. (You can also do this in a cheese cloth.)
- Place zucchini, carrots, pork, turkey, and the rest of the the meatball ingredients in a bowl and use your hands to combine.
- Taking about 2 tablespoons of the meat mixture at a time, shape into meatballs. Set aside on a plate.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all sauce ingredients until completely combine.
- Place a large oven safe saucepan over medium heat and add a teaspoon of coconut oil. Once saucepan is hot, add meatballs to the pan and brown on all sides. Pour the sauce over the meatballs.
- Place saucepan in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked through.
- Garnish meatballs with chopped cilantro and green onions.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 412Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 307mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 25g