These might just be my favorite cookies ever. I made them a couple Christmases back and have thought about them frequently ever since. They are a light and delicious sugar cookies with dried cranberries and tons of orange zest. They’re also rolled in a mixture of sugar and orange zest which is what makes them so good. The sugar make them a little crunchy on the outside but they say so soft on the inside. Good stuff.
They are also super simple. My 2 year old and I did made the dough and baked them off in probably 30 minutes, and if you have kids you know everything takes longer with them helping.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Using an electric mixer, mix butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Add to butter mixture and mix until just combined. Fold in cranberries and 1 tablespoon orange zest. Chill dough while you make orange sugar.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon orange zest. Use your fingers to rub the 2 together until everything is combined and mixture is fragrant.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls and roll in orange sugar. Place on baking sheet and flatten slightly.
- Bake 10 - 13 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool on wire racks.