It’s always exciting for me to receive a blog I already know for my Secret Recipe Club assignment. This month I got Erin of Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts. Erin organized that Colorado Fires fundraiser that I participated in and I’m happy to call her a friend.
When I sat down to pick a recipe from Erin’s blog, I had brownies on the brain and knew Erin would have the perfect recipe for me. Buuuut as soon as I opened her blog, my 2 year old spotted these and started shrieking “THAT ONE! THAT ONE! THAAAAAAAAAT ONE!” So yeah, I made her Chicken Club Eggrolls.
They’re eggrolls that are stuffed with chicken, avocado, bacon, and cheddar cheese. Uhhh yeah, you see why my 2 year old wanted them so badly. Erin’s are baked but I’ve never had luck baking eggroll or wonton wrappers so I fried. And I hate frying but for something like eggrolls, I think it’s totally worth it.
They were fantastic. Benjamin (the one who chose the recipe) had 4 of them! And this is the kid who claims that he doesn’t like bacon or avocado. The dipping sauce was delicious too. I’ve never tried the avocado + ranch combo but now I see why it’s so popular!
You should definitely make these. They’d be perfect as an appetizer or an entree!
adapted from Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Heat oil in a large, heavy pan to 375F.
- In a large bowl combine chicken, diced avocado, bacon, and cheddar cheese.
- To assemble eggrolls, lay 1 eggroll wrapper on your workspace. Put about 1/3 cup of the mixture down the center of the wrapper. Use a pastry brush to brush water around the edges of the wrapper. Fold the sides over. Then starting with edge closest to you, fold over, making sure the filling stays inside. Use a little additional water to seal if needed. Repeat with the rest of the filling.
- Fry one at a time (or 2 if your pan is large enough), turning occasionally until deep golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- To make the dipping sauce, mash the avocado with the dry Ranch mix. Stir in yogurt, lime juice, and salt.
- Serve the eggrolls with the dipping sauce.