Layers of chili, hot dogs, bacon, cheese, sour cream, red onion, and cilantro! This 7-Layer Chili Cheese Dog Dip is perfect for football season and always a hit!
Some of my other favorite dips for football season are Jalapeno Popper Dip and Cheesy Sausage and Spinach Dip!
We celebrated my oldest’s 5th birthday this past weekend.
Five! How am I old enough to have a 5 year old?!
We had a small party including cake, a pinata, and way too many Power Rangers toys.
(Him on his 1st birthday and on his 5th! Is that not the chunkiest baby you’ve ever seen?)
7 Layer Chili Cheese Dog Dip!
I made this 7 Layer Chili Cheese Dog Dip for his party because the boy loves hot dogs. And yes, this does have actual hot dogs in it!
- Make a simple chili with ground beef, onion, diced tomatoes, beef stock, and the usual chili seasonings (chili powder, cumin, coriander
- In a separate skillet, cook bacon until crisp
- Drain off almost all the bacon fat; cook sliced hot dogs in remaining bacon fat
- Layer the chili, hot dogs, and cheddar cheese in a casserole dish
- Bake until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 12 minutes
- Top with crispy bacon, sour cream, diced red onion, and fresh cilantro
- Serve with tortilla chips or dippers of choice
Can You Make 7 Layer Chili Dog Dip Ahead?
You can definitely do parts of the dip ahead of time! The chili can be made the night before and stored in the fridge until you are ready to assemble the dip.
I would do everything else fresh. You want crispy bacon and a little bit of a crisp on the hot dogs. But the chili takes the longest time so you can definitely get that out of the way.
More Dip Recipes
Make sure you subscribe to my email list to get all my new recipes delivered right to your inbox!
You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest for even more!
7-Layer Chili Cheese Dog Dip
from Taste and Tell
For the chili:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 can, 14-oz diced tomatoes
For the Dip:
- ½ pound bacon
- 4 hot dogs, diced
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 bag tortilla or pita chips
To make the chili:
- Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a large pot. When the oil is hot, add the ground beef and onion. Cook, breaking up the beef, until it's browned and the onions have softened. Drain, if needed. Add the chili powder and cumin; cook another minute or 2, just until the spices are nice and fragrant.
- Add the beef stock and tomatoes and allow to come to a boil. Cook for about 10 minutes, until most of the liquid has evaporated.
To assemble the dip:
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook, flipping as needed, until the bacon is crisp. Drain on paper towels; crumble once cool. Set aside.
- Pour off all but about a teaspoon of the bacon fat. Add diced hot dogs and cook, stirring frequently, until the hot dogs are browned. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Spread the chili in the bottom of an 8x8-inch baking dish. Top with the hot dogs and then the cheese. Bake for 12 - 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Top with bacon, sour cream, red onion, and cilantro. Serve hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 435Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 889mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 27g
natalie (the sweets life) says
i can totally see this being super popular at parties, despite its weirdness! glad the party was fun :)
I like this ,I have to try it soon
I loved this dip, and I’m so glad you did, too!! Happy belated birthday to your little guy!!
I have to admit, it does sound weird, but I would totally be down for some hot dog dip. BF hates hot dogs so I rarely get to eat them – I think at this point I would try anything with a hot dog in it…. Im glad your little boy had a good day – power rangers and all.
Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen says
Aww happy birthday little (big) man! Love the wild and crazy dip- I have a brother who would go crazy for this!
Kevin (Closet Cooking) says
I am liking the sound of this dip!
Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts says
Happy birthday to your little boy! What a fun dip! Never would have turned a chili dog into a dip, but why not! Looks delicious!
OMG, right now this looks like utter indulgence food! Yum!
awww he is 5 now!
this dip sounds sooo good.
Living The Sweet Life says
Happy Birthday kiddo!! What a cutie, both as a baby (p.s loving how chunky he was — so super cute!!) and now.
This dip sounds like the ultimate kid’s dream dip. What’s not to love?
Oh goodness, Amanda, this is awesome. Happy birthday to you little man!
Awww happy birthday to your little guy! You know the way to my husband’s heart, he would be all over a hot dog dip!
Yum! I’m one of those adults that secretly loves hot dogs. The more toppings the better. I bet this was a real crowd pleaser. Happy birthday to your son!
Pam @ The Meltaways says
Happy Birthday to the lil big man! I can’t believe I “met” you fiver years ago! That dip looks good – I’m going to have to file that one away for an upcoming game or race day!
Rachel @ Baked by Rachel says
Happy birthday to your lil guy… though not so little anymore (5?!) Good grief… someone needs to find a pause button for us parents soon.
Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama says
Oh my gosh I want to squeeze that baby chunk! My oldest of 3 turns 5 on March 18th. I don’t know where the time goes… or how the heck I could possibly be a mama to a 5 yr old. Makes me feel an old 27!
I think I have to make this dip for my husband he would go nutty for it.